Growing Adasonias (baobab) in temperate climates

Greetings!

This is a subject that I wanted to discuss for a long time, so better later than never.
Baobabs have been a fascinating topic for me since the very moment I even saw an Adasonia digitata.
According to modern bibliography however, this can be only done in very specific climates, such as tropical and almost tropical regions.

Since life does finds a way, I would like to present you 2 bright examples which have been growing and thriving in my country, Greece, outdoors without any special protection.
So far so good, and hopefully one fine day they will also fruit and prosper.

The first specimen grows in Kalamata, Messinia, Greece and it has been on the ground for about 2 years. It has survived nights of almost frost without any noticeable damages and it’s a seedling.

The second specimen is an Adasonia gregorii. It was purchased with other 4 seeds, a good friend tried unsuccessfully to germinate it, after 6+ months of inactivity and a frost he gave up, and in March this little fellow decided to sprout!
So far, survived the last frost here in Athens where we had snow for 2 days and temperatures close to 0C for more than a handful of nights, the heatwaves and continues to grow!

I have seen numerous Adasonias being grown in areas such as Florida, where frosts are exceptionally rare, but seeing baobabs in temperate climates is an unheard thing for me. And even though I did read some news about people growing them in Malta and in Sicily, I wasn’t able to find any pictures.

If you also grow baobab and your areas experience frosts and heatwaves, like in Mediterranean and Arid climates, please do contribute to this thread and share your precious knowledge!

3 Likes

How old do trees have to get before they start to show that distinctive baobab form?

nice topic @Getta_Robo .

i was quite surprised to see an adansonia tree in manila, island of luzon, philippines. Already had the bulbous trunk >25 yrs ago so probably gigantic now, considering the heavy annual rainfall

@cousinfloyd Way too many I’m afraid. I’ve read sources citing that could take over 30 years, others raise it up to 100!
I can tell you for certain that for both species, seeds even under the ideal conditions take several months to germinate. The gregorii seedling took almost 8 months so we reused the pot for passion fruits, but thankfully that little fellow decided to pop out!

@jujubemulberry that’s really interesting. I do also recall some baobab in the tropical zone of Thailand where also thrived and kept growing. I’d like to think that baobabs are a lot more resilient and hardy that bibliography states, and I will keep the thread informed with additional pictures.

1 Like