Growing hosta for food

Is more the dual edge sword of ignorance (don’t even know what’s edible) and overpopulation of an environment that can’t support all that people without carting food in from far and wide, often from another country.

I like to both read about the fantasies of preppers, and the real life events that keep happening all the time. If you want to see what an emergency looks like just go to your favorite news site and tune into what some of our fellow human beings are dealing with. For instance during the 2001 Argentinean economic crises first the stray dogs and cats disappeared, then the domesticated ones began to go missing.

2 Likes

Alaska may have better media that reports real news, but it’s real scarce on TV or Cable among the offerings … even if there’s 50 channels.

BBC, Deutsche welle, Jerusalem Post are a few sites that give some of the ‘other’ news besides things that more resemble soap operas and political rallies.

Americans desire to be entertained, not get news like they did at 6 to 7 pm 50 years ago.

1 Like

Hosta like many other vegetables add diversity to the diet. They are not intended to provide the bulk of ones daily calories, but that does not negate their utility as a vegetable.

The scenario presented was as an emergency food in case of social unrest.

1 Like

Yes, that was clear. However, the assertion that they wouldn’t be of value on account of the large quantity needed to provide 2,000 calories a day completely overlooks the fact that leafy greens are not intended to be the source of bulk calories regardless of the social climate. Hosta are in fact equally useful as a veggie whether times are good or times are bad. Either way, they add diversity to ones diet. Their inability to substitute for calorie dense foods like rice and potatoes does not negate their utility as a vegetable.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know, I don’t watch TV.

There are some good news outlets out there. El Pais from Spain has a good global coverage of issues. Their Americas version is in English and even covers all the stuff we Americans may be freaking about at any given time. I usually skip that and go down to what’s going on in the world:

2 Likes

may i suggest Jerusalem artichoke. its perennial and so far has survived -40f. my patch of 4 tubers. 2 red 2 white has grown to a 8 x12’ patch packed tight with flower stalks in 3 years. haven’t tried them yet but they are there if i ever need them and they grow with 0 care. ground nut is another i grow but it isnt as prolific as j. artichoke is. both are very high on calorie and nutrition scale. Egyptian perennial walking onions are very prolific and spread like crazy. trim the leaves every june and they will size up to the size of a baseball. greens are very good too. i started out 3 years ago with 5 bulbils. now my patch is 10ft x 4ft wide. again, 0 care. they root where the bulbils fall, right though my mulch.

2 Likes