Growing nice, graftable pecans in a year

With the immense possibilities that hot-callusing has opened up, coupled with a good source of viable noryhern pecan seed, i want to make sure I’m off to the races with my efforts to generate next year’s pecan rootstock.

How do you feel about the following:

-Seeding directly in Stuewe 4x14 tree pots with good airpruning below.
-Seeding in a deep air-prune bed, with or without a prior air pruning in flats, barerooted in the fall.
-Air pruning once in a flat, then shifting to ercole or anderson shallow air-pruning pots

Who are the hickory and pecan authorities here? I’m in sunny Southern Ontario, 5b/6a.

3 Likes

@Barkslip may have some thoughts on this.

3 Likes

I once read a Texas A&M (I believe) online document that they unfortunately removed. They discussed all their research and concluded that raised beds with white rubber mulch created the best seedlings. Spacing I cannot recall but, probably the further apart the merrier. I would suggest 5" (6") so you can get in there and wield a knife/V-cut tool.

They also stated that fertilizer had zero, impact. Their media for their beds was basic topsoil. I do not recall anything (and I"d of remembered) about a special blend. There definitely was no mention of it.

My thoughts are an 18-24" tall bed. You’ll have some spectacular seedlings.

I stood in my raised bed and easily removed pecans/persimmons/oak using a spade.

@Fusion_power is a hard hitter.

Dax

1 Like

Nice. Thank you. Keep in mind this is virtually all for bench grafting. I’ve got a few nice seedlings germinated in place that will be all my topworking. Do you get nice results from one year seedlings in tall pots? Or field grown then shifted to pots?

My experience with grafting pecans is that 14 inch deep pots are a tad too small to get good seedlings in a year. I’m using TP818’s which give about 4 gallons capacity.

Barkslip’s methods work with soil, however, potting mix in a container requires fertilizer. I recommend a combination of slow release osmocote and liquid fertilizer with micronutrients. You can purchase these at Walmart.

You can air prune pecans and you can also water prune them. Sit a deep pot in a tray that holds about 2 inches of water. Fill the tray up and keep it full most of the time. It functions as a ready source of water for the pecan growing in the container above the water level and it restricts root growth similar to the way air pruning works. I’ve been using 1020NH trays that are leftovers from growing tomato and pepper seedlings.

1 Like

Didnt try pecans, but this year I grafted a couple almond scions to peach trees. Will be a real hoot if it takes. Will keep you posted. :peach:

Being in a northern climate as well (and knowing that my in-laws further north than I am have plenty of land) I am interested in following this topic.

just in case you’ve never seen this (or heard of this nursery) Products - Pecan, Ultra Northern - Grimo Nut Nursery

I was surprised the number of varieties they claim will fill their shells in zones 5b-6

Scott