Growing pecans in the Balkan

Probably it gona be like that. I dont know how much I will get this year :thinking:
I was expecting to have at least 50 seedlings this year in total , after all you sent me significant amount of nuts. Maybe I will, who knows. In a year or two I think that I’ll be able to graft them.
Off topic now, as you said earlier, heartnuts are fast growing. I will plant them in fall, they are about 3 feet now. Hickories are just next to them but they are about 4-6" (10-15cm). They grow slower than pecans.

2 Likes

Pecans produce about 1/3 weak seedlings. Please be prepared to cull them. I have several hundred pecan seedlings in the greenhouse currently and need to go through and remove the poor growers. I also have about 3 or 4 showing chlorosis - yellow leaves - that will be removed. This is a common trait for Kanza seedlings.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the information. I thought that I was made something to them unintentionally. Do you think that slow growers and with hlorosis need to be removed? I’m asking because I dont have them so much, they are precious to me. But if there is no good from them then I will do it. After all I will lost time on them and gain nothing. I presume that I will repeat the process again in fall, third luck. Now I have some experience with them. Or Darell you can tell me what to do to get the most of them.

2 Likes

I have only 1 pecan in bag, some biodegradable, and that one was the first planted. It was a trial for pinching. Decided to move it to more sunny position and while moving I brake taproot unintentionally. Easily passed through the bag into soil. They are like walnuts, first they push taproot then start with growth.

After that I cut all beneath the bag and put it on a place where this can’t happen again. I hope that plant will be ok.

3 Likes

Cutting the taproot is standard practice for pecan trees grown for transplant. It encourages the plant to produce fibrous roots near the surface.

3 Likes