Grub in berry patch

When I was planting my blackberries, raspberries and fruit trees in February I found at least 1 grub in each hole I dug. I just spread some leaf mulch around my raspberries and muscadines and in the last bucket I put down I found about 50 grubs in some wet mulch. Now I wondering how many I didn’t see or will they be more attracted to the mulch I just put around my berries?

Should I be worried? Should I put down some beneficial nematodes?

those molt into various beetles. If im not mistaken they eat plant roots. Don’t think the mulch has any effect on them. (if also seen them eat from elephant garlic and some tubers)

Some nematodes can control them. And i think there are certain wasps that control them. I think those wasps especialy like the carrot flowers. So growing some (wild) carrots might be an option. Those wasps are sensitive to neonic pesticides though. These grubs can actualy benifit from pesticides. since it affects there predators more than it affects them.

1 Like

@figerama
For a fast result, use Scott’s GrubEx. This is the time to put it down.

For future plan, you may want to look into Milky Spores and see if they will be what you would like to use for a long term preventative plan.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I know what type of grubs I have, my one acre traps have been catching tons of bettles just fed the fish a half a gallon of them from the last week or so.

1 Like