Hall or Triumph muscadines?

I was planning on driving to Ison‘s at some point and purchase four muscadines too add my collection. Hall, Supreme, Ison, and Sweet Jenny. I noticed online that they were sold out of Hall, but they do have Triumph.  I also noticed that Bottoms nursery had Hall.  Bottoms nursery is a little bit out of my way. So my question is do I drive to Bottoms just for a hall muscadine or save some gas and get a Triumph.

1 Like

Unless you live in a zone 7 or better growing area with plenty of southern heat Isons varieties are a waste of time. I tried several for five years here in zone 8 and never even get a blossom. Find something more reliable for your zone. Ison will sell you anything but after that you will not get any help from them

Dennis
Kent. Wa

Gary, if you can comfortably drive to Isons and return home in the same day…then you probably can trust that the things they offer will do very well for you.
Not many grow muscadines here in Kentucky…(we don’t believe global warming is anything more than a temporary phenomenon).

1 Like

Both Isons and Bottoms have them in pots that you can order as well. Could even be cheaper than driving a distance. My muscadines ( in Virginia) are loaded this year.

1 Like

Zone “8” in Kent, WA is a far cry from Georgia zone 8 where Ison’s is located. In Georgia you get 9 months of 90F+ weather with night times in the 70s. In the Seattle area you get 1 week of hot weather and night times of 50s. Muscadines are native to the SE which is hot and humid. No surprise they fail in the Seattle area of cool summers and winters in the 40s.

5 Likes

Zone 8 in the southeast will work fine they are native here. I do agree it’s misleading for these websites to state zones 7-10 I can see how you would think it’s okay for your area based on the zone description.

2 Likes

Yes, I grew up in W Tn so I know how well they grow in the south, that’s why I appreciate this website because you can learn what works in an area before consulting a nursery.

1 Like

Muscadines are native to the south. It isn’t ison’s fault you’re trying to grow them in the PNW. Due diligence is on you man.

1 Like

I grow Hall and I consider it to be one of my best varieties.

2 Likes

Great thanks. I’ll go with hall.

1 Like