Hammond Apple. Never heard of it before

With a few exceptions I have stayed away from several of the Heirloom apples. Sometimes I just can’t resist the temptation. Hammond apple has been added to my young apple orchard.

There is not much information about it on the web. I found this brief synopsis which is more than I found on my other purchase Big Red June not to be confused with Carolina Red June.

Hammond – Just like the Hall, the Hammond was long thought to be extinct. However, we also pruchased this tree from Joyce Neighbors of Neighbors Nursery in Alabama. This tree originated in South Carolina and was first mentioned in 1858. The fruit keeps well through March. The tree produces green, medium-large fruit that ripens in November.

4 Likes

Bill, I think that’s admirable. Because this cultivar was thought to be extinct. One of the reasons I requested Marshall strawberry runners from GRIN. Please keep us posted as to how the tree does. I have a small pear orchard full of rare heirloom pears. Many cultivars that were almost forgotten permanently. Hoping to be able to provide scionwood to friends and CRFG members as the trees get large enough. That’s how these lovely, wonderful, rare heirloom cultivars remain with us.

2 Likes

Lee Calhoun’s book Old southern apples contains a description of it. In general about any old southern apple will be described in that book. You can often find the page in the online preview in Google books, or get a paper copy of the book.

1 Like

Thanks for that tip, Scott. I’m going to look for a copy of the book. Sure wish there was a similar comprehensive book about old, rare heirloom pears.

1 Like

Thank You

It is tempting to add several of these older varieties for the same reasons you mentioned. Hope your pear trees are doing well. Bill

There is The Great Book of Pears which has a section in the middle with pictures and descriptions of some of the classic old pears. You can also download the 1917 Pears of New York which has the most complete descriptions.

1 Like

Thanks, Bill, and yes, it’s very tempting. My pears are all doing very well. No FB this season (so far), but interestingly, they are all VERY slow to flower and leaf out. Some of my early pears are just starting to leave out. My Pineapple Pear, which has several nice fruits, and is fully leafed out. So weird this year. Even my Seckel has no blooms or leaves. Just such a poor winter for chill hours for us here.

1 Like

Thanks, Scott. Off to check out both.

@Auburn Did you get any Hammond apples yet? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t got any apples yet. I moved the tree two times and I’m sure that this kept it from fruiting. The tree does look healthy.

2 Likes

This might be Hammond. It was on a graft that I failed to label.

2 Likes