Has anyone grown Pineapple Pear?

Thanks, Ray. I think I’ll leave them on until September next season, and see if they flavor up better. Good to know, adjusting my spreadsheet :slight_smile:

Patty S.

1 Like

For me, like most pears in its class, pineapple was best after a week or two sitting on the counter to ripen up and soften some. For me this process was more important that picking time. Once they softened up some they had a really nice flavor. Not in the class of the top tier European pears but pretty good for sure. They have been grown in the southeast for a long long time so the are fb tolerant at least. My two cents for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

I normally think of Pineapple pears being suitable for the deep south. Haven’t heard of Yankees growing it

Disease-free? That’s good to hear. I’m tired of most European pears I have, they always have something. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Patty

Have you changed your mind regarding the pineapple pear taste? Just curious as i have one going in the ground this spring i guess. Not sure when the best time to plant this tree.

No I haven’t. In fact this year I had a bumper crop on both of my trees. I had to use limb supports on one grafted tree. I had several people come to my front door and ask for pears. That’s how many I had, even on dwarfing root stock. I’ve just about lost my 12 year old Ayers to fb, but pineapple seems to be resistant to it. The fruit hangs on the tree a LONG time. They sweeten up nicely, either on the tree or in the refrigerator.
I grafted it onto a Magness, and it’s taken over the tree.
A neighbor down the street has a Bartlett that he gave me a bag of, and it was like eating styrofoam
compared to my pineapple.

3 Likes

I’ve got a pineapple pear and have yet to get even one pear from it…That’s in 5 years and it’s a decent sized tree too. This year it was hit by what I’m pretty sure is fb…

Did a heavy pruning about a month ago to remove the affected limbs, and it responded by putting out a lot of new growth and even a few flowers…I don’t have a huge amount of space in my yard for any more trees and I’m not sure what the long term prognosis is, so if it doesn’t produce next season it’s probably coming out.