Has anyone tasted Nectarcots?

My tree died.

My tree will be on its third leaf this spring. First year it grew pretty slow. The neighborhood Antelope kept it pruned pretty hard. I put a tree shelter on it and its second leaf year it grew like warmwxrules said, “like a weed”. Probably will have a few scions available this spring too. I also got the Sugar Pearls too. Only second leaf this year tho…

I found several Apricots that are suppose to be self-sterile --Harcot,Harmat,Moongold,Bhart(Orangered),Perfection,Rival and Sungold.
Some came from this list-- IAM Pannonian Apricot Pages - Cultivar description
There are others there that I haven’t named,that may work,but will probably be difficult to get. Brady

2 Likes

According to their website, the fruit is grown in South Africa.

1 Like

Or, Since my Flavor Top Nectarine needs a pollinator, I could use it as the seed parent, and Shakar Pareh Plumcot as the pollen parent.

I wonder if that’s a Zaiger tree?

1 Like

That’s my suspicion too.

1 Like

I’ve grafted Orangered to a Fantasia Nectarine.That may be a good place to start for me. Brady

1 Like

The inventor is Joseph C. Goffreda,.

It would be nice if it had the hardiness of an apricot and the earliness of an apricot but the flavor of a nectarine :wink:

3 Likes

This what a Nectarcot tree looks like: Like that of a Nectarine tree. I was expecting the tree ( leaves) to resemble somewhat between apricot and nectarine, nonetheless, the leaves look exactly like nectarine leaves. Thats also what my nectarine x apricot hybrids and peach x almond hybrids look like, like a peach.

Unfortunately, they are only available in South Africa.

2 Likes

Nice to hear from you! I tried Amazon, the search does not recognize “nectarcot.” We need to befriend some consumers of this fruit in SA. They send us some pits, if they are not sterile, then grow them out here.

My crosses, Nadia X, Candy Heart X, Summer Punch X, and Indian Free X are doing well. They sprouted one year ago, are about 3 feet tall and are now dormant. Scions from them will be grafted to established trees in about six weeks to speed up fruit production.

6 Likes

Zaiger?

1 Like

I believe it’s a Zaiger tree.

1 Like