Hazelnut Trees from Great Plains

I ordered 2 “Beast” hybrid hazelnut trees from Great Plains. It was delayed for several months. But it is worth the wait. Very impressed. My local nursery sells the same at more than double the price. Not sure about the size.

I’m probably going to heel them in pot until dormant season. I think I’m going to get the clear plastic tree tube to protect them from deer horde.

8 Likes

Nice! What size is it? Grafted or own roots?

Total 39" with roots. Hybrid on own roots.

1 Like

Nice!! I ordered one :smiley:

1 Like

It is good with pollination. Nut is decent size.

1 Like

i may order a few of them next summer. planted a winkler and 2 eco hazels last spring from now defunct okios. only 10in sticks.

1 Like

I started some hazels with the nuts from Jesse. Not sure what varieties he gets. Probably Ashworth or Oikos. Going to plant those together to help with the pollination. Also other hybrids to mix all together.

Will be happy to add more hybrid varieties.

2 Likes

2 of my 4 hybrid hazels i got from arbor day, that i just harvested, has huge nuts . i cracked one open and the kernels about 1/2in. had so much nuts on them most of the limbs were laying on each other or the ground. going to propagate them next spring and spread them around the yard. supposedly , from what arbor day said, they are experimental hybrids arbor day developed with badgersett institute.

2 Likes

I tried to sign up Arbor Day trees. But no nut trees offered for our area. Only some shade trees.

I’d like to try those if they are available. We need to get those that are EFB resistant.

1 Like

ill keep you in mind next summer. going to take 1 whole bush and layer as many limbs as i can and send you a couple if i get enough to take. theres a nursery that sells hybrid hazels in N.J. dont remember the name but they also have some of badgersetts crosses in their hazels as well. most reputable nurseries ive seen only sell efb resistant or immune hazels. z nutty ridge nursery out of N.Y sells them as well.

2 Likes

I kept those 2 trees in pot to “heel in”. Then I planted them in ground today. The roots have grown twice as much as they came in. No top growth. I used the pine bark fine in 5 gallon pot. Excellent plants are reasonable price.

1 Like

i saved about 50 of the biggest nuts from my 4 bushes. i could send you some to grow out if you like. initially i was having alot of big blank nuts from my oldest bush i harvested this year but the 2nd bush with a little smaller nuts were all good and just a little smaller but still good sized. PM me your addy if you want some.

1 Like

That would be great. Those two are actually the pollenizers for my other trees. I also started some Ashworth seedlings as pollenizers. They are just too small to planted in ground yet. Not sure if those Ashworth seedlings are compatible.

I think you will like the Beast. The nut size appears to be about the same as Webster but it can more easily be grown into a 20’ tree.

2 Likes

wish it was hardy here. maybe through trials it will be found to be more hardy.

1 Like

I’m thinking about giving them a try myself. Thinking about trying the traverse as well. Do they have a dedicated shipping time or do they send immediately after purchase?

I had to wait for this summer. It was several months of waiting time.

Nice prices on them, but think I will pass. I’m not a fan of paying now and receiving the product much, much later. Thanks for the info.