Health Benefits of Fruit

I only grow those for my wife. I prefer raspberries. i really don’t care much for blueberries.
Same with strawberries. I like blueberries over strawberries. Currants is what I want to increase, both red and black. Everybody is different, that’s a good thing!

1 Like

At least with an apple, isn’t most of the “healthy” part of an apple in the peel? So i suppose if you process it and remove that, aren’t you in some ways losing a lot of the good stuff? I would guess the same applies to stonefruit?

Fruitnut, I guess I am guilty and I do not hold Mrs.g47 accountable!!! :grin:I need the energy to do the gardening workout in my yard!:grinning: I do consume processed fruit as you have explained that the fruit is processed when cooked and jam is the result. I love blueberry jam, in waffles, muffins, etc. Nothing like it! (Spoken like a true blueberry lover) However, I don’t add a lot of sugar when making the jam. On the flip side, I do eat just as much, if not more, fruit in its natural state. I guess I am just trying to convince myself that balance is the best way to go…:relaxed:

1 Like

Probably but much of that you can use the peel if you want. I do with cherries. With others I may or may not use the peel. Peaches I peel, even eating fresh, I hate the fuzz.

You can rub the fuzz off. But I do peel apples. At least the ones with tough skin.

I don’t even peel kiwi fruit…fuzz and all.

Never thought of that, thanks!

Another reason for eating the apple peel: it contains a chemical that slows muscle loss that is related to aging.

Shoot, maybe that’s why I’m so skinny.

They left off the biggest reason for leaving on the apple peel. In many varieties it contains much of the flavor. At fruit tastings I try to ensure that I get a slice with some peel and that is thick enough to experience the apple’s texture.

Here is a direct link to the article:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/

1 Like