Health risk of growing edibles in vinyl?

A question has come up in another thread. What are the health risks of growing in vinyl? More specifically, growing strawberries in vinyl rain gutters.

Thanks.

I don’t know the answer but I think it might be worth exploring, given what we’ve learned about plastics the last few years. I’m no chemist so I won’t opine, except to observe that the bisphenols are worrisome; whether there are any in vinyl I don’t know.

It should be easy enough to make suitable troughs with cedar or redwood, and not too expensive. Weight might be an issue so you’d want to take that into account- I think I might like the looks of that better too, but that’s me!

I’m no chemist either but I do have a daughter who has her PHD in Chemical Engineering. Needless to say she is trying to teach this old dog how to eat a healthy diet. My opinion is that there would not be any more of a hazard from the gutter than growing in plastic pots. Just an opinion because I certainly don’t know. Bill

1 Like

Good point, and now we have to wonder about plastic pots! Thanks a lot, Bill! :smile:

I suppose some of it would have to depend on how hot (how direct the sun was) and such. I know a few months ago we were talking here about rubber tree mats, and I think the consensus was that they’re not that good an idea. Not the same as vinyl or drinking glasses, but you take my point.

2 Likes

If your concerned you could use aluminum gutter, or as stated by Marknmt, use wood.

1 Like