Help identifying apples?

Hey there! We recently bought our house and it has lots of fruit trees, including this apple tree. We’re not sure what variety of apple it is - last season it only gave off 3 tiny green apples - this year it’s being more generous and they are definitely bigger apples. They are still green, but I’m not sure if they will turn colors- I know it’s generally a tad early for apples. We are in the Inland Empire of Southern California if that helps. It’s quite a mature tree, probably 30 ft tall? Last season the few sad apples were almost “barrel” shaped - meaning their sides were more straight and the apple was rather cylindrical. The apples in the photos from this season are 2+ inches in diameter, close to 3ish inches. Any other info that would be helpful, just let me know.
Thank you!
This forum wont allow me to post photos because I’m too new. You can see my photos of the apples here: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Look up Newtown Pippin pictures … that was about the most popular apple in California 50-75 years ago. The dots in particular are very much a Newtown trait, I don’t know of any other apple like that. Also Newtowns stay green when ripe.

1 Like

Thanks Scott!
I think they look a little nicer and more dotted than Newtowns, but we’ll see when they are ripe. Your suggestion led me to Alderman apples which are very close, except for the basin lobes which are 5 point crowned on my apples and it looks likke Alderman doesn’t have lobes at all. I also saw Calville Blanc d’Hiver, but felt they were too lumpy looking compared to mine and not enough dots. Grimes Golden also came up but that didn’t quite match either IMO.
The search continues… :slight_smile:

I’m growing coras grand greening but haven’t had an apple yet. The shape is similar to your picture but maybe more round. It’s a super big apple.

BTW those apples are gorgeous!

Also look at pound sweet

pumpkin_sweet

I googled blocky green apple and got this :joy:
download

2 Likes

One variety of apple can look very different depending on climate etc so it is not easy to get an ID just with pictures. I have seen Newtowns just as dotted as yours are. That plus the commonality of Newtown where you are makes it about 90% chance that is it Newtown to me.

Look to see if they are not ripe until late, they never color up much, and then taste in December and compare with Newtown descriptions.

1 Like

That’s true compared to my California-grown Newtowns, for what it’s worth. The white dots are present, but less numerous and conspicuous. It certainly was a common apple here, however, which argues in its favor.

Two other possibilities that may be worth brief consideration. My Sierra Beauties often have that distinctive shape, though not the dot pattern. My Hauer Pippins all have a very similar dot pattern, though not that shape. Both are old California apples. Hauer is just as late as Newtown, but tastes quite different.

Probably a Newtown (or some NP seedling), though, as @scottfsmith suggested.

1 Like

That looks like a fantastic apple. How long have you been growing this variety? I though I remembered Fedco advertising this apple a while back. I thought about ordering one. By the way it looks I should have ordered one.
What have you been using this apple for?

This is a new apple tree for me and I haven’t had any fruit. I have both this one and jumbo as bench grafts. I’m expecting big things from them. (✷‿✷)

1 Like

Big things looks right. Looks like a great apple. I may try to buy one for next year.