Help locating graft

Hello everyone, novice grower here. This trees was given to me and I want locate the graft point. Thanks in advance for any help.

Loquat? What makes you think it’s grafted? Many nurseries sell loquat as seedlings. I’ve even seen seedlings sold as named varieties because the nurseries incorrectly assumed they grow “true” from seed.

3 Likes

Yes it’s a loquat, it was given to me as a grafted tree, to me it’s not obvious it’s grafted, about half way up the stock there’s a point where it increases in size and changes texture slightly… I was looking to plant a tree that would fruit in the next year or two, didn’t want to plant this loquat if it wasn’t grafted and dedicate years to the tree before it fruits while still rolling the dice on what characteristics might be of the fruit.

1 Like

The spot you mentioned on the trunk looks like where one year’s growth stopped and the next year’s growth started. (Unless it looks different from a different angle).

3 Likes

If it’s grafted, it might be around ground level. Pull back the straw and maybe a bit of the soil until you get to roots, and take photos of that area from closer.

Doesn’t look grafted to me!

3 Likes

Thank you guys a lot, huge help.

Is it possible a airlayed tree?

It appears to be a seedling. I know of two nurseries in southern CA that claim to sell true-to-type trees but actually they are grown from seed.

1 Like

Just curious, I grow seeding loquat and I’m often wondering How much of true-to-the-type a loquat tree can be?

As far as I know, loquat produce only zygotic seeds, so they will always show some variation from the seed parent. If they are self-pollinated, that variation might be too little to notice, though.

2 Likes

For a home grower, as long as the taste the same; size does not have too big the difference, I don’t mind have less productive, or less diseases resistance seedings. After all, it is way cheaper and easier to throw a seed to a pot and watch it growing

1 Like

I’m growing 3 loquat seedlings and only plan to graft one of them. But I don’t mind them becoming huge trees. The main benefit of a loquat grafted on quince is a smaller tree, I believe.

Loquats can take upto 8-12 years to fruit from seed depending on location.
Grafted trees will fruit in 2 years. For me that time saving is worth the 5 mins it takes to graft a good known variety.

1 Like

Graft is a good idea for fast fruiting. It leafs are ornamental and can be used as a partif medicine.

Two Years ago I unwittingly bought 2 two loquat trees from Willis Orchards not realizing that they were seedlings. They were advertised as named varieties.

In spite of my mistake, the trees grew well and I have grafted many varieties onto them.
I’m still an amateur grafter, but it’s proved to be quite easy to graft in warm temps.

You have a good start with the tree you have. I’d graft some good varieties for your location.

1 Like

They will be close to the parent if self pollinated which is often the case. As @swincher says, similar but not the same.

2 Likes