Help me to identify Strawberry variety

Somebody gave me these strawberries as runners several years ago. I planted them, and next year they produced runners but I didn’t keep any. This was the last time I saw them sending out runners. They propagate by flower stake giving roots when it gets to the ground, but they do it very rare. Mostly I have the same number of plants I planted several years ago. The berries are not too large, have distinct egg shape, if you think about small bird eggs. It is ever-bearing, sweet. Nice to have kind but mine is too old and I would like to replant them, if I figure out what they are…

2 Likes

Hard to do.

To narrow it down, you should consider if they were something that person had purchased in your region. If so, you can eliminate a lot.

Everbearing can narrow it down more. But size is impacted by having same plants so long. Was it always same size and shape?

2 Likes

Size was bigger at first, but never huge, I would say inch plus long, half inch wide. Shape was always the same. My coworker gave it to me and she bought it at local market. She didn’t remember the name, but said it was something related to “basket”. I think the fact it is runnerless is important, but I can’t find anything with this property other than Alpine strawberries, but it is sure not Alpine.
It is funny, I decided just go throw images on Google to find by shape, only image I found close to mine is from Wiki, and has no name!

3 Likes

Have you tried just dividing the clump into smaller clumps?

2 Likes

A list of known cultivars in your state is here:Diseases | UMass Center for Agriculture, Food and the Environment

That does not mean it is not a newer variety not listed!

2 Likes

Looks like Mara des Bois, and if it isn’t you’ll be happy with MdB an outstanding everbearing type.

1 Like

There is no clumps, plants are struggling, 2 eyes max, and not mach roots…

1 Like

I have it already, it is different strawberries.

1 Like

Oh well, good luck finding it! I’m not familiar with other Everbearings.

Any chance you could go to same farmers market and show a photo of your plant to all who sell strawberry starters?

1 Like

No, I changed job and Iost contact with her, I don’t know where she bought it. But I think I found one variety that fits all the properties:

Even lack of runners fit. Unfortunately, it is only place where they sell it at and it is not for sale now. May be in spring…
Just realized, they are wholesale seller, so no Sweet Ann for me :unamused:

1 Like