Help round out my citrus collection: CCPP Recommendations

I’m in south Louisiana 8b and started collecting citrus a few years ago. I’m currently keeping them potted (10gal will progress to 20gal or put in-ground eventually) as we do get some cold weather and I’m running out of room! I started grafting apples and pears this year and plan to start citrus with CCPP budwood. But, their inventory is overwhelming and my ignorance of citrus varieties is making the decision difficult.

My current varieties are mostly on Trifoliate rootstock with a few Flying Dragon. I picked up one Meyer lemon purposely to multi-graft to last week. Where are the “holes” in my collection and what would you recommend from CCPP? Thanks

Trifoliate -
Satsumas: Arctic Frost, Brown’s Select, Bumper, Miho, Owari.
Calamondin
Key Lime
Louisiana Sweets Hamlin orange
Meiwa Kumquat (espaliered)
Meyer Lemon x2
Moro Blood Orange
Mandarins: Page & Ponkan

Flying Dragon - Brown’s Select & Owari satsumas, and Meyer lemon

1 Like

I love growing citrus now that I can. The only citrus I would add would be the varigated pink fleshed ‘Eureka’ Lemon. It has a striped green and yellow exterior and pink flesh. Interesting and really good tasting. Also an addition to ‘all green’ lemon leaves’ these are varigated. Green yellow and off white (randomly streaked) leaves. Here it is called Panache Saguine.

3 Likes

Thanks. I was planning to add a whole variegated eureka pink lemon this year and waited around until they were all sold :man_facepalming:t3:

I was thinking maybe adding several different lemon varieties to the Meyer.

1 Like

There are also the colorful array of Finger limes! I have two. they are purple!

2 Likes

Shiranui is an excellent choice. I wouldn’t recommend varigated lemon, not cold hardy and low production.

1 Like

Gold nugget mandarin (if you can find it).

1 Like

Valentine pummelo, Cocktail pummelo.

Mandarins: Kishu, Sumo, Gold Nugget, Tango (in that order)
Pomelos: Valentine
Oranges: CaraCara, Bream Tarocco

There are many other pomelos I haven’t tried and most need a lot of heat. Oranges need both heat and chill in winter and in such ideal climate CaraCara shines and can be as good as many top mandarins. Same for Tarocco. I just planted Yosemite Gold mandarin which many rate highly but I haven’t tried it yet. Kishu tops the list for me so far.

1 Like

@LADPT
Check out this supplier:

1 Like