Help with my potted Persimmons in MD

Hi Everyone, new grower here in 7a (Maryland). I have three potted persimmons that are struggling. After showing strong new growth in late-March/early-April I brought them outdoors. My Saijo continued to grow strong but two of the new branches broke off under their own weight (middle plant in the first pic taken before they broke). The Tam Kam and IKKJ wilted immediately and all new leaves since then have been brown and curled (see second pic). I lightly fertilized them with Citrus-Tone right before I move them and have been watering them daily. Appreciate any advice for a noob.

They may have gotten freeze or sun damage on the transition. At this point they are adapted to the outside and the damage is done so just leave them alone and hopefully they will recover. Don’t over water or over fertilize.

2 Likes

I’d echo Scott- sometimes more is less. I’ve seen a few cases of folks killing their plants with kindness, almost as common as neglect. It’s a hard balance to figure out.

if you have the proper potting soil mix, watering more often isn’t as detrimental but may be needed if it drains well. I’m thinking something like a fig mix where I’d use pine bark mulch, perlite, optisorb, and some peat (plus fertilizers etc).

1 Like

I would also ensure you don’t have bugs (Persimmon Psyllid) in those curled leaves. I think I’m starting to see some where I live. I saw Persimmon Psyllid the first year I ever put a Persimmon in ground so they are generally around in the environment where I live in VA.

2 Likes

I get them every year here in Indiana. They are ubiquitous. A healthy tree always outpaces them though once they really start kicking out new growth. I think there is an insect predator (name eludes me for the moment ) as well that starts to put them in check once the growing season gets established.

1 Like

that is sunburn. If they leafed out indoors or started under grow lights they have to be slowly acclimated to sunlight. I would move them to the shade

1 Like