Help with unhappy peach tree

My Gold Dust on Citation looks miserable. The leaves are drooping, and yellowing.

I thought at first maybe it wasn’t getting enough water, but I felt the soil and it was almost always moist. So I thought maybe it was over-wet and removed the mulch to help it dry out faster. Then I thought perhaps it was a nitrogen/fertilizer issue, and gave it some Espoma Citrus Tone (for the higher N, and because it was what I had on hand) as well as some alfalfa pellets for additional N. Things don’t look any better after 3 weeks.

I don’t see any other obvious causes of disease, and I did look at the trunk and branches very carefully.

Thoughts or suggestions?

1 Like

How old is the tree? It sounds like some trees I bought which had roots over-pruned and planted in less than perfect soil. The next year they were fine.

2 Likes

I got it from Bay Laurel, it was planted in February, and the soil is ok-ish, but nothing to write home about.

So you may well be right. It would be nice if the solution was “wait till it gets better”. Those are the best problems to have. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats funny, it was also Bay Laurel trees for me. They are some of the worst root pruners out there. I haven’t ordered from them for almost ten years for this reason.

3 Likes

Citation doesn’t like continually moist soil.

2 Likes

Citation doesn’t seem to like peaches or nectarines

2 Likes

I really wish I’d realized this before I ordered from them, altho my tree seems to do doing OK

1 Like

My Tomcot apricot from Bay Laurel seems to be doing ok as well. Bay Laurel wouldn’t be my first choice again now that I see how extensive their root pruning is, but if they had something I had trouble finding anywhere else, I would probably order from them again. Their trees seem prettty heathy otherwise.

1 Like