Hirt's Gardens? (EDIT: Updated w/photos of my order)

Interesting. Beats me- never seen those. I will say I’m usually a little dubious when a description says “great for making jam/jelly” I feel like that is usually code for “these things are barely edible unless you add massive amounts of sugar and cook the heck out of them!”

3 Likes

Maybe it’s a beach plum type thing?

Yes, it is very similar, enough so beach plums can pollinate these from time to time.
I guess it is a wild natural hybrid. Seeds are often sold.

I have no complaints about Hirt’s. It is like a box store in a way, but they produce or distribute for many nurseries and have many unique introductions. Like Solo and Maxi honeyberries. Now have others too.

You a fan of beach plums, Drew?

I don’t have any, but I probably would be. I bet they are great for cooking. Not so much for fresh eating. I want to add them one day. Cherry plums too. Some are heirlooms for sure.

I like hirts fine see this post Finding rare plants cheap!

Yes, Kevin. I have ordered from Hirt’s in the past and not had the best results. I think it’s a mixed bag with Hirt’s. I know other forum members have had just fine results. You might want to check out their rating on Dave’s Garden Watchdog:

Patty S.

1 Like

50/50 is not a good rating at all. The only thing I would buy from them after seeing that rating is what can’t be found easily or cheaply elsewhere. Now I feel lucky my plants were fine. The bad reviews they got sounds like they were for the most part from previous satisfied customers.

1 Like

Well that is easy as many are unique. I agree though, not the best, but may be our only choice on some things. I bought a couple Easter cacti from them that were really nice. Proven winners is another like this, and Solo and Maxie are from them, not Hirt’s. My bad.

1 Like

Thanks. I actually talked about their Dave’s Garden review in my OP (don’t worry…you can be forgiven for not reading my infamously long posts top to bottom!) but many of the negatives I saw were over really petty stuff. Still, sounds like they are so so. It caught my eye because they are pretty darn cheap and have a lot of a few things like figs, muscidines, etc

1 Like

Kevin, here is my experience: I order two figs. Both came and were so skinny they could only be seedlings, not rooted cuttings. They were in bad shape when they arrived and were infested with fungus gnats so badly, that it was a good thing I opened the box outside (a cloud of gnats came out). I couldn’t save either teeny plant, even after multiple soil treatments for the fungus gnats, when then spread to my other fig cuttings. A bit of a nightmare that spring. I also ordered something else from them (can’t remember), it also came as a microscopic specimen that succumbed. I would say with Hirt’s, you get what you pay for. They are cheap because their plants are very small and not well established. And, not well taken care of, coming with obvious infestations. I think about Hirt’s, then I think about the trees I received from Trees of Antiquity. Much much more expensive, but healthy, robust, HUGE root systems, super healthy. So, for me, I will not re-order from Hirt’s. Not worth it if the plants die and have to be re-ordered. Ends up being as expensive or more so, than a better grower.

Patty S.

2 Likes

Thanks Patty, and others. I thought maybe I had discovered some hidden gem of the nursery world. Thanks to you guys I guess I better not gamble it!

Nope. They’re been around for a while with a varied reputation. Talked about pretty extensively on other garden forums including GW. Some folks have had an okay experience. Especially if you can actually go to their garden center in person. Others with their mail order plants, not so much.

Patty S.

Wellspring Gardens is much cheaper, if that is the attraction. I ordered a couple years ago, not bad for the price.

I’ve ordered from Hirt’s just once, about two years ago. I ordered some kiwi plants. Prices were good, plants were alive and healthy, and everything arrived quickly. So, my limited experience was a good one, and I’d order again, and may do so soon.

I’ve ordered from Wellsprings several times. Always had good experiences with them. Just be aware that their plants are all tissue cultured and will be VERY small. However, the prices are very good if you don’t mind waiting for them to grow.

1 Like

Those teeny figs were probably tissue cultured, not seedlings.

1 Like

Yes, surely they were. They looked like seedlings but were no doubt tissue cultured. Which is fine, but the fact that they were so badly infected with fungus gnats, any roots they may have had were so badly damaged, they were goners by the time I got them.

Patty S.

1 Like

For the price, they are great. The thing to be aware of is that they ship when you order, not at an ideal time to plant based on location.

1 Like

Ordered a Meyer Lemon for my mother, it came promptly, in good health, and is still doing great a year later.

1 Like

I noticed that some of the fruit and berries are from Hartmanns on the Hirt site. I ordered some of the fruits from Hartmanns last year, including from the wholesale area of their site even though I only ordered one plant of each variety. Of course, I paid a little more than the wholesale price.