Honeybees finding it harder to eat at America’s bee hot spot

The country’s hot spot for commercial beekeeping is the Northern Great Plains of the Dakotas and neighboring areas, where more 1 million colonies spend their summer feasting on pollen and nectar from nearby wildflowers and other plants.

https://apnews.com/68aa078675094bebab8874c4dd4bc952/Honeybees-finding-it-harder-to-eat-at-America’s-bee-hot-spot

Kind of odd when I lived in ND for 3 years I dont recall seeing bee hives that was almost 20 years ago. I wonder if they are located more in one particular area?

It is also strange that no one seem to complain about these being a non-native species

2 Likes

No…neither do the big corporate farms complain about illegals coming looking for work…

1 Like

they busted a couple hundred hiding out in eastern Maine last year, working on a blueberry farm. displaced that many local pickers! how did that many illegals get thru the country undetected? someone must have brought them here? customs has started to do random checkpoints on 1-95 now along with DEA looking for narcotics. liberals are in a uproar but its the reality we live in. id rather see them there than not. my wife lost 2 of her nephews to heroin ODs from the same family in 10 months! the epidemic isn’t just in the cities! sorry! im off topic.

thats why i do eveything i can on my property to help the native bees. i leave brush piles for the bumbles to nest in. put out mason/ leaf cutter bee nest and harvest the cocoons. buy more mason/ leaf cutter cocoons in the spring to release on my property. i also killed back my steep banks near the road and re planted clover/ pollinator perennial widflower mix as well as heavily seed my lawn with 10lbs of micro clover. wilth the rain last week the clover is flowering the lawn is all white with blooms and bees everywhere! smells great! the flowers on the bank are growing but haven’t bloomed yet. next year they probably will. all my comfrey is in bloom as well. they have plenty to eat here. we don’t have any wild honeybees this far north and the few that raise them have to take measures to protect them from the cold in the winter. it only makes sense to take care of our native pollinators.

2 Likes