How are you using your garlic scapes?

You’re coming up with some great recipes, @HollyGates. I already used all mine this year – I grilled a batch, sauted a batch, and chopped some up and froze them – but I’m making a note of your recipes for next season.

We often just roast them with olive oil and garlic on a cookie sheet - our default way of cooking veg. But this thread was an inspiration to try them in other things too. Plus I had more than usual this year.

1 Like

Next installment of Lunch with Garlic Scapes.

My wife boiled the rest of them (maybe 20?) with a bin of leeks I picked from the yard yesterday until done. Then she put in leftover baked potatoes with the skins taken off and stick blended it. Salt to taste. Should have chopped the leeks smaller the texture was a little stringy.

We ate this garlic scape augmented vegetarian vichyssoise hot, with a little cream and some chives from the garden. The salad is perennial sylvetta arugula from the garden, with goat cheese, avocado, cherry tomatoes (still weeks away from garden tomatoes).

Plus bread from our favorite local bakery (Iggy’s). Delicious. Wish we had more scapes to continue the adventure.

5 Likes