How are your World's Best mulberries doing?

Then if pounds upon pounds of fruit is not as important as flavor then they need ignore this post. I’m trying to collect data so I can pass it on to help others who want to grow and feed their families. Data on nigra, jujube, and mangoes detracts from the post entirely.

1 Like

I’m sorry about the jujube and mango talk. For many if not most production is just as important as taste. However talk about other mulberries and taste is part of the discussion. When reviews come in about your mulberry taste will be a big part of the discussion.

My complaint about many mulberries (like so many figs) is the lack of tartness to balance the sweetness. “World’s Best” has some tartness, so that is a big plus for me.

1 Like

Taste is a personal thing. To my taste buds, M. nigra wasn’t an exceptional fruit. Good, but not life changing, nor good enough to make me want to do the work required to grow it successfully (e.g., spray fungicides).

“World’s Best” is trouble free and productive for me. And my son and I enjoy the fruit. So, it’s earned a place in my low-maintenance yard.

1 Like

Does it keep producing all the way til the frost, or is it just a spring thing? Around here the random volunteer mulberries produce all at once and then they’re done for the year.

I do recall Bryce saying that the flavor was good but not the best, there were other reasons that made him feel these mulberries were superior to the others he’s seen. Size and productivity.

1 Like

I love sweet tart also. That’s Nigra. It does taste great for the most part. The berries varied a lot last summer. And it’s pest and trouble free in my greenhouse.

I’ll like worlds best if it has sweetness to balance out the tartness.

Some people are willing to put in more work for their fruit.

1 Like

Less about “willing” than “able” at this point. Just too overcommitted to “baby” needy plants. Too busy raising an actual baby (well, toddler)!

3 Likes

I think you’ll have no problem with it developing enough sugars. You might have to time how you pick them so there’s still enough tartness to satisfy you. I’ll be interested to hear how you like it.

1 Like

If left alone, growing happily, I think you’d get only one crop. But if you prune or do something else to cause new growth on existing wood, you’ll get another crop. I let some of mine dry out to much and they dropped their leaves and then grew out new leaves and fruit.

2 Likes

I think humidity may be a major player, but my experiment is still in progress. Time will tell…

1 Like

My potted Pakistan mulberries are at green tips. I loved them. The are super large, very sweet, and no stained.

Tony

5 Likes

I just grafted this variety on Russian mulberry rootstock.

1 Like

Does it need a pollinator? Or a male/female tree?

No pollinator needed for Pakistan mulberry. I am rooting and grafting the White Pakistan mulberry right now. It said to taste like Honey melon. Hopefully the grafts take.

2 Likes

Been on the list since January…

Looking forward to the end of April…

Scott

Same here.

1 Like

Just received mine today in good shape! :+1:

Hmm… I guess someone did buy them. I opened his link 2 minutes after receiving the email and it was already sold out.

And i received mine last week on Thu. Possibly one of the first, if not the first this season. Excellent packaging and received in great shape.