How are your World's Best mulberries doing?

That makes two of us :frowning:

Yeah when I looked it was sold out, so don’t be removing us from the list!

I think he is doing it in waves, so he isn’t swamped with on huge order to ship. The packing was excellent//

1 Like

I was notified, but when I looked it was sold out already. I just want him to keep me on the list and notify me again and again until I have them.

1 Like

Trying to bring this thread back to the topic at hand. Mine are doing great received my shipment from Bruce in May. I put them in pots to get them growing after shipment. I planted one the out on my farm with my other mulberries and persimmons. The other I have left in a large pot with potting soul an aged cow manure. To my surprise they both are fruiting! Now they are still only about 3-4 feet tall so I am
Not expecting much but they are vigorous and healthy so far.

2 Likes

Is anyone else distributing cuttings or plants of this variety yet? I emailed Bryce about a week ago but haven’t heard back.

Thanks!

I check my email several times a day. If you sent an email to the waiting list it won’t be answered since it’s a waiting list only. There are nearly 6000 people on the list now. If you want cuttings you are better off getting them from others. I had too many complaints so I don’t offer cuttings. I sell Plants only once a year in the spring.

Hey Bryce, didn’t know there was still a backlog or that you didn’t do cuttings, sorry.

Anyone else selling cuttings/plants?

Thanks!

Hello,
I propagate and sell World’s Best mulberry. I believe I just sold out but check in with us in spring 2020. Our website is www.peacefulheritage.com We have other mulberries also. Thanks.

I am going to probably sell cuttings in February and maybe march. I wasn’t but I’ll try since i can’t fully supply the demand for plants.

1 Like

Here in Australia we have morus nigra cultivars for different climates: dry and hot, cold and rainy to warm and humid. Queensland seems like Australia’s equivalent to Florida: warm, humid mango land. I don’t think we can send trees to the US though because of customs, and the US has its own varieties that we can’t get here.

1 Like

I don’t want to sound persnickety, so if I sound like a “know-it-all”, I sincerely apologize. Morus nigra cultivars do well in “dry and hot, cold and rainy”, but I have yet to hear of a true Morus nigra that grows well in “warm and humid”. If you happen to meet up with that unicorn, please post some photos here…one-quarter (the southeast) of the US would love to get their hands on that one.

9 Likes

I just got my first handful of berries off a ‘World’s Best’ (syn. ‘Thai Dwarf’?) bush one year old from cutting. I know a lot of people complain these aren’t the most flavorful variety, but honestly who cares. They’re still tasty and incredibly productive! Pick them a tad under ripe if you want a bit of acidity in them.

6 Likes

My 3 trees are productive, but the flavor is so bland I don’t even bother. I’d rather have the occasional dwarf everbearing than handfuls of flavorless “World’s Best”. Not only is the sweetness not there and the acid too high, but they’re just devoid of any fruit flavor; they’re almost vegetal. Pretty certain I’ll be yanking them for jaboticaba/tropical cherries or grafting some other variety on top.

3 Likes

Really? Even though I was picking them a touch under ripe I thought they were sweet and was worried they’d be too low acid if I let them ripen longer.

I’m surprised that yours are doing so well Johann. I got rid of mine after they were so bad.

1 Like

Bad in what way? Just bland? Or other issues?

Just bland, vegetal. Died back heavily every winter.
The others were so much better and ripened around the same time.
Silk Hope, Gerardi and Pakistan are starting to ripen about now – maybe a week or two from now will be prime.

1 Like

I didn’t get any vegetal taste and that’s considering I ate them with the stems still attached. I have not yet put them to the test for winter hardiness, but at this rate it seems like it could be productive even if it were to experience significant die back. I’ve already lost a fair number of mulberries prior to this so I’m happy to finally have some to eat regardless of how they compare to other varieties.

1 Like