How difficult is it to graft hazelnuts?

I took my prunings off my jefferson and scrapeď bark/put in soil and so far it appears to have taken (same treatment/neglect as red currants)

2 Likes

Do you know if any roots have formed yet?

Not yet will update this thread in a month or so, they are leafing out the same as my inground one and currant cuttings so should be good but will have to see

2 Likes

Hope they do well. Looking forward to your update.

1 Like

So i gave one away, the other still has leafs and is alive in a pot…on par with currants IMO at least for jefferson…prune them in spring, stick in ground and thats about it

1 Like

A local lady was thinking about removing a large hazelnut since it was too close to her privacy fence. She cut it back to a foot off the ground last year and it grew back with a dozen sticks all about as thick as my thumb and about 4 foot tall. I cut them into 10 inch ling sticks, cut the bark back at the bottom, some rooting hormone and put some inside a misting chamber and the others outside in a nursery bed. Less than a week later they are starting to bud out.
This may get interesting, since she does not know what variety they are but they get about 15 to 20 foot tall.

1 Like

Good luck with your rooting hazels. Let is know how well they root.

To update, i planted my cutting good roots out bottom of 12 in tree pot

1 Like

I had a lot of success in rooting the cuttings on my outside nursing bed. The hazels are the ones closest and goumi further back. Can’t get any easier than sticking them in the ground. It is a sand and perlite mix and I had a cover over it.

5 Likes

They look healthy. Your right this might be as easy as it gets.

1 Like

I will give them another month before putting into pots. I do not know what variety they are since they were from someones backyard and they stuck a stick in the ground and 20 years later they wanted it removed. It never gave nuts since there was no pollinator near by.

2 Likes

A couple years ago I grafted a two Winkler scions onto my Jefferson tree. I used a bark graft and wrapped it with buddy tape. I didn’t realize at the time that Winkler is C. americana, whereas Jefferson in C. avellana. It seems promising that this interspecies graft is going as well as it is. I imagine the same-species grafts would work somewhat better.

I hope it does since I’m currently growing a bunch of Jefferson seedlings hoping to eventually use them as rootstocks, so I can start collecting more hazelnut diversity.

4 Likes

I’ve made several filbert grafts at the end of April. They are showing signs of life a month later. Thank you @Auburn for the scions!

4 Likes