How do remove a sucker so that I can use it as rootstock and not hurt my main fruit tree?

Well this is what I did, I got 8 rooted stems from 1/4 - almost 2 inches, most 1+".

I can send pics of the roots tomorrow, nothing impressive though, unfortunately I did not know about this before leaf break, but oh well, they’re pruned down now and will get grafted with red and pink flesh apples tomorrow, and Granny Smith (maybe the world’s most important long storing long hanging apple)

Before:

After:

I have apple and peach trees that are heavily mulched and I did this too. They came right up with roots and all. I put them in water for a few minutes and then replanted them right where I want new trees to grow. I did 3 apple and about 6 peach today. I also have some scion wood that would fit on some of my larger suckers. I might try to pull, graft, soak in water to re-hydrate for about 10 minutes, and then plant where I want them.

Why not? I don’t have anything to loose since the suckers are free and so was the scion.

1 Like