How do you purchase your containers?

It depends what you use it for, figs, citrus and others. Here is my thinking, surface roots, deeper roots, taproot?
Figs has mainly surface roots, calls for squat containers. How large?
Ultimate size? 15 gl for me, that’s what I like( weight and easy to transport). Grew them in larger containers, not anymore.
You don’t have to fill it up to the top. A fig tree grown in a gl pot could go in a 15gl container filled less than half. In 3 years or longer soil will be filled to the top.

2 Likes

In my limited experience, citrus seem have shallow root system and are happier in shallow pot.I have an kumquat tree that is over 10 years old in a 6"tallx8"wide pot. But my other citrus, orange, lemon/lime , including
kumquat etc did not survived long in bigger and twice tall pots. My major challenge of potted citrus is root rot during the long winter.

BTW this may not be related to the pot size. My baby Yuzu (in 4"x4"x4" container)flowered and fruited( marble size fruit) the first year from the seed. I pollinate it with kumquat which was also blooming.

8 Likes

Root rot for citrus is easy to cure. I have my tree’s in large containers, way bigger than yours no root rot in years. If your tree’s are starting to flower at such young age, it might be stress.Root bound.

2 Likes

How do you avoid root rot in citrus? Especially with such large containers?

2 Likes

I bought 10-15 gal injection molded nursery pots off Amazon, about $10 each. Using pine bark mix (like Sta Green Tree and Shrub) with perlite for citrus. Drains well and no rot so far.

2 Likes

For tree pots and Anderson bands, try:

For normal pots, try:

https://mcconkeyco.com/

2 Likes

Have been using Stay Green too and Grow Pro H/D squat containers and some new ones, made in Italy, looks pretty strong. Use Pertite, Turface as my base. I like to make them as light as possible.

3 Likes

Do you have a good supplier for the Gro Pro containers? My usual ebay source dried up during pandemic.

Brilliant. Did your Yuzu seedling have the characteristic yuzu flavor? Incredible to fruit the year the seed was planted. I have Yuzu Ichandrin from One Green World in the ground. It’s only flowered and fruited 1 year out of maybe 6 or 7, and only a couple of fruit so far.

the shipping costs may run as much as the pots

My yuzu, I called it teenage pregnancy😜 I don’t think it’s supposed to bear fruit this young from what I have read. I have never had yuzu before so I don’t know what it’s supposed to taste like. Actually, I don’t know what I am going to do with this one either. I may just leave it alone till it falls off the tree by itself

@IL847 I think they are often taken green, or greenish for stronger flavor. You can buy yuzu candies or marmalade if you want to try the flavor. I really like it. It’s what’s often used in ponzu sauce in Japan.

That’s probably how I cultivated a craving for black currant long before I ever had fruit :slight_smile: Candy.

When that gets bigger, there could be demand for cuttings if it is so precocious.

3 Likes

I will check out yuzu products in local stores when I get chance. Someone gave me this yuzu plant. I hope it stays alive and continues to grow and bears fruits. I can send you cuttings when it large enough and still alive. As I said citrus in large /deep pot don’t live long, about couple of years in my hands😞
BTW I love black currant too. Great aroma

No really, buy everything at my local Hydro ponic store, with taxes around $10.00. These containers last a long time. Big large square drain holes on the side, none on the bottom.
Need handles, l move them a lot, fall/ spring.

2 Likes

There is a guy near me who sources used 15gal/20gal/30gal/55gal/65 gallon food grade barrels for 15 bucks each. I was thinking about turning them into rain barrels, but now I am thinking about cutting them in half and making two big planters for super cheap. Any reason not to if I drilled my own drain holes and retrofit some rope handles?

2 Likes

You might try to find a rancher in your area that raises cattle. They would probably give you all the empty mineral tubs you wanted for free. Some brands of these mineral tubs are better than others. Most will get brittle after a few years, just in time to do some root pruning and put in a new mineral tub that is going to be thrown away.

4 Likes

zaigers (stone fruit breeders in california) keep hundreds of trees in half plastic barrels. that tells me it’s somewhat optimal in terms of cost and longevity

1 Like

What I buy is readily available, fast when you need them. Most don’t have access and time to find thing that easy.

It depends on what kind of containers, these days I usually buy grow bags from Amazon or ebay. Yet I do reuse old pots sometimes, as well as unused pots I have laying around. It is getting hard to find the same brand of grow bags every time, yet I always find something decent enough.

Typically I save containers from planting shrubs and trees and stuff…but still need to buy once in awhile. So, 50 to 150 as a “case” is the way to do it and keep the unit cost way down. Growers Supply, AM Leonard, CO-OP are sources.

1 Like