How do you use permethrin with nectarines?

Just bought permethrin to give it a go finally. Fantasia nectarines almost petal drop. The plan is to spray it just around the fruitlets maybe a couple of times until they’re large enough to put a bag on with less chance of breakage in the process. that might take a couple of weeks. Then no more sprays. Maybe spray around the entrance to the bags Midsummer or something.
With no sprays all the fruitlets are covered with insect bites and fall off before they reach the size of your thumb.
Does this sound reasonable?
First time using this pesticide, so hope it works.

1 Like

Happen to know what insects are bothering the fruit?

1 Like

According to the pesticide label, stink bugs, aphids, momohaho griga, hamaki Mushi.
When I researched this a couple of years ago, if memory serves, the main problem is as soon as the fruitlets start to emerge they’re attacked by bugs, some of them burrow into the fruitlet, and they’re ruined. The key was to spray them immediately after pettal drop , repeat , at least until you can get the bag on.
Most of the petals have dropped today, although I don’t see any fruitless forms yet.
Additionally, should I spray the fruitlets until they’re dripping wet, or a quick passing cloud spray overtop is sufficient?

With most but not all the petals gone is a little tricky as to when to spray for insect control. Wait too long and Plum Curculio will start their egg laying and if you spray early you run the risk of killing our pollinator friends. I would rather sacrifice a few fruit and spray when I’m certain my pollinators have stopped visiting. Just my take on spraying.

2 Likes

Stink Bugs have been difficult for me to control so I would appreciate a followup on how well permethrin works on them.

1 Like

I think @Bradybb was asking if you know what pests that attacked your fruit. What are major pests of peaches and nectarines in your area of Japan?

Do you have Oriental Fruit moths, plum curculio, stink bugs? If you do, then you can check if the label is for those pests. If it is, you can spray it.

I would say if you can add a sticking, spreading agent like Bonide Turbo to you spray, it will help permethrin stay on your fruit longer.

When possible, I prefer spraying in the evening when bee activities are mostly gone.

7 Likes

I’m not sure exactly the pests, but it’s likely the ones on the label. I posted pictures on a different thread from previous years pests. I’m sure it’s everything and the kitchen sink.
Not sure how much of this washes off with the rain?
Bugs die as soon as they touch it, or when they eat it?

1 Like

Nice guy,

Permethrin is a contact insecticide, which means any susceptible insects will die from walking on the foliage or fruit (as long as there is enough residual) or eating the sprayed foliage or fruit.

Tippy has good advice. By using a sticker it will keep residues on your fruit longer. And spraying in the evening is generally recommended if bees are still foraging around. Permethrin is fairly lethal to bees.

I know Japan has Oriental fruit moth, which can cause wormy fruit. Fortunately you don’t have to deal with plum curculio, which only resides in North America, where it’s indigenous.

I’ve no idea what type of insects momohaho griga, hamaki Mushi are, but permethrin is a pretty broad insecticide, so should give decent control if effective residues are kept on the trees.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!
As I just need to protect the fruit, I can wait until I actually see the fruitlets form, or should I spray the petal-less flowers?
Also, Any idea how thoroughly to spray the fruit each time ?

Ok, I’ll just spray early, heavily, and frequently to be sure.

I’m a noob peach grower too. The folks here told me to spray before flower set, then resume during shuck split and thereafter after every rain. My peach has never looked this healthy. Apparently, that early spraying is very important, before flower and during shuck split. Dont spray during flowering because you’ll kill bees.

2 Likes

That’s helpful, thanks!
Do you spray the entire tree and trunk, or just the areas you plan to harvest from?

Side question: can you use this on Granny Smith apples?