How is your weather? (Part 2)

No rain in sight yet in Seattle… this is more like a 10 day stretch in July, but in October. If “Juneuary” is when June is cold and rainy here, what should this be called? Octuly?

We might get our first frost tomorrow night…if not then chances for Sunday night look even more likely.

1 Like

35F in the car and on my home temp gauge…roof had frost although didn’t see any on the ground. No fog but the river was steaming.

1 Like

Mid 30’s in some areas in middle Tennessee yesterday morning. Still extremely dry in some areas. I have had about 1 inch total rain since the first week of June, but a friend 15 miles away has had 20+ inches during the same period. Trees are highly stressed, with many leaves turning brown and falling off already. Hoping we get some rain from Ian, but looking like it may all stay to the east.

supposed to be 30 here sun. night. will be more like 25f as our weather stations on a hill. weve had 2 frosts already. time to bring in the citrus.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw we’re getting close down here. Still a little wiggle room, but time to start bringing the potted fig in at night so the fruits can hopefully ripen.

2 Likes

Low of 40F here (NE TN) yesterday morning and 37F this morning. Saw frost on some neighbor’s roofs for the first time since perhaps April.

We’ve had a wet summer, and Ian is predicted to head our direction. There probably won’t be a lot of rain by the time it gets here, and even if there is I won’t complain… Will likely pale in comparison to what folks in Florida will have experienced. Hope they can ride it out safely…

2 Likes

Nice day here …60F with light winds and blue skies. I’ve got to say this is about perfect temperature for doing most things. Not cold enough where you need heat on, no AC needed…can do anything outside and not die of heat exhaustion or freeze your butt off. I like.

4 Likes

bout the same here in the 7 day. low 60’s- upper 50’s. too bad it can’t stay like that year-round.

Punta Gorda had 86mph winds with 123mph wind gusts. Not good.
Edit…station must have been destroyed because it hasn’t reported in hours.

1 Like

Had frost on Roundstone Elementary playground this morning, Rockcastle County, Kentucky. 38 degrees according to automobile of my friend.
It got to 40 or 41 at my place. Red maples and sweet gum trees beginning the turn to glory.

2 Likes

Spent the afternoon heavily pruning a huge maple. Thing was loaded with helicopters. It was growing into powerlines, cable lines, etc… i didn’t die so i guess it was a success.

3 Likes

I bet not too many people would look at this photo and say “that looks like Seattle in fall” but it’s a pretty pleasant day here today that’s for sure

1 Like

Yeah that is a very mild climate you have there. Your winters are tropical compared to here.

The 33F the other morning didn’t seem to do any damage. Flowers all look fine. I’ve still got ginger growing (i did cover those) and tomatoes are still going. 70F now. Stays warm until midweek and then it might be woodstove time. Showing 54F thurs and 50F friday for high temps. Octoberfest right now. Drunks will be everywhere this weekend (parade).

2 Likes

Ian brought a lot of rain to Florida, Virginia, and the Carolinas. Sadly a lot of death and destruction as well…

As far inland as we are here in northeast Tennessee, it delivered a fair amount of rain:

Just looking thru euro model thru 240…still shows that colder air later next week, but doesn’t look as bad overnight…might be looking more at frost then a hard freeze.

Low 70Fs today again. Nice day overall. Had some sun and clouds. Took a 15+ mile bike ride—trying to get as much in as i can because it’ll be over here before too long.

1 Like

tom. nights been changed from 30 to 27 so likely low 20’s here. time to bring in the citrus and last of tomatoes.

1 Like

Low 70Fs thru Weds, 50Fs thurs and upper 40Fs Friday as some of the coolest air yet moves thru. Looks short lived though…should be back into the 60Fs by Sun/Mon. Becoming very dry around here, but i guess it doesn’t matter as much with the short days and the end of hte growing season.

3 Likes

That’s true, if trees go leafless and it’s cool…they hibernated and that may not cause any issues.

But, what’s starting to concern me is our “chill hours” may be met before winter gets here…and a couple weeks in the 70’s at X-mas time, like last year, and things start blooming!

Missed a frost by 1°F three nights ago. Another frost advisory tonight.

Peeked under the covers of a bean teepee this morning, and found not only scarlet runner blossoms, but a bumblebee. We have harvested a few scarlet runner beans already, but I don’t think we will be getting many more.

1 Like