How is your weather? (Part 1)

Interestingly enough we had 69 one day over a week ago…but 49 today and max out around 65 Wed or Thurs before rain arrives again. So, we are off to what I’d term “ideal” here in Kentucky.
Still 25 last night and tonight…everything mostly dormant except flowering pears and such.
Looks like one of those springs where I would gamble and plant some purple bush beans and 8 row sweet corn if I had some ground prepared! And get tomato plants sowed under canvass if I were going to grow a big garden.

And thinking back 50 or 60 years…this week my dad would have been sowing seeds in the tobacco bed…probably 8 x 100 under canvass…so plants would be large enough to transplant during May.

We continue to get bright sunny weather but…it’s such a bummer that we continue to have this cold air mass hanging over us…very little melt over the past week. I was hoping that we would have bare ground for the few days of 40s/50s coming up but we will be lucky if we can melt off what we have by the time it turns cold again next weekend. Yes…I have spring fever! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Looks like the warm air pushes east by mid week, but another cool shot by next weekend.

Miami, FL only 71F tomorrow for a high temp. I think parts of Iowa should probably top that.

1 Like

I only spray copper on the nectarines for the leaf curl. Added that to the tank once the rest was finished. Mostly, I was spraying for magnolia scale - had a bad infestation couple of years ago. That, and the apple aphids.

So - the year is underway.

I see just the slighted swell in the asian pear buds today but nothing else. 26 tonight, but temps moderating in the next week or so. @BlueBerry has read my mind on what I would like to be doing in the garden. My dad sometimes would have had potatoes planted by now. I have 9 tomato plants started and pepper seeds in the aerogarden. I have my packets of purple bush beans and corn waiting in the wings for warmer weather. The dogs and the cat stretch out on the mudroom floor soaking up the warm midday sun that filters through the door. Everyone has the itch to get out and jump into spring.

3 Likes

Already down to 34.0°F at 11:30pm and that was supposed to be our low tonight. Just went out and it’s clear skies, so I think the lack of cold air drainage in my neighborhood is about to get me again tonight. Wouldn’t be surprised if it got down to 28 or lower by dawn at the rate it’s falling now. Fingers crossed that this is our last frost of the season, though!

Nailed it (and glad I brought in some of the more tender seedlings I was hardening off on the patio):

Are things leafed out there?

Very chilly along the west coast. I saw Los Angeles was only 60F.

Here is an interesting map. It’ll never verify, but something to laugh at. GFS has the front range of the Rockies getting 40+ inches of snow. Also heavy snow in S Iowa. To be fair…winter is far from done up here. Nice to get rid of what was on the ground though. Anything that falls now will melt quickly.

1 Like

Mostly not yet from what I’ve seen walking around, but I don’t really have any mature trees of my own to report on. I’m mostly regretting planting out some more tender seedlings last week, most notably Psidium longipetiolatum, which look like they were a bit damaged by the frost last night but hopefully they pull through.

-6F @ 6:29 this a.m. @ 7:30 a.m. the electric company’s tree crew was ringing the doorbell so they could take down the other half of the Poplar tree damaged by wind a week ago. Glad I wasn’t that guy !

1 Like

Went from 9°F to 39°F in about two hours this morning.

2 Likes

Looking like some solid rain over central part of the US. Sounds like a low will move out of California and take its time as it moves east causing a lot of precip to fall. 61F right now…probably be snowing at this time next week here.

2 Likes

i dont want to hear the s word! been a pretty dry march so far and would really like to keep it that way! :wink:

1 Like

Was 22 here this morning, but got to 62 today, with four more days in the 60s this week. No more freezing temps forecast for next 10 days.

Don’t like to see these temps now, I checked my trees, looks like one pluot has some small buds showing, and maybe a peach as well. A couple apples are showing some small awakening buds of some type (silvertip?).

No bueno…

Guess I need to get my potted apples in the ground soon. Plus, I need to dig up some of my tip rooted Triple Crown blackberries for transplant.

1 Like

KY looks to be pretty safe from freezing temps for awhile. I’d watch that day 10 time period. GFS/euro both drop a pretty significant chunk of cold air for that time of year…almost reminds me of the TExas polar blast, but milder (at least its mid March so the air is modifying now).

I don’t mind the mild weather, I welcome it actually. I just want a gradual warm up, not a repeat of last year’s whipsaw temp changes that fried all my tree blooms.

I think 50s-30s are normal hi-lo temps for March here.

The last few days have been just beautiful. Sunny and 50s. Looks like tomorrow is the last day of sun and warmth for awhile. That’s actually okay by me…if the kind of weather we’ve been having stuck around for much longer it wouldn’t have been good for fruit trees.

2 Likes

They’re forcasting 73, new record. At 2300, it is still in mid 50’s.

Very windy today!

Our 10 day looks really dry right now which is great because that means no significant snow! Hey hey…whadya know…we are going to be above 40 today!

1 Like