How is your weather? (Part 1)

That’s what I thought last week

By the weekend, I wouldn’t be surprised if cots were open, but it’s the strawberries - I have some needing to be set out, already in bloom for waiting, and they can’t take a frost at all

This weather has been kinda surreal. At certain times of the year, certain things track together…temp, day length, where the sun sets, shadows, what’s blooming that indicate what season you are in. They are not tracking this year.
A few nights ago I was out near sunset, grafting jujubes. It was light at 7:45 (check). The sun was setting on the north side of my neighbor’s house (check, it sets on the south side when it is cold, aka winter). So the spring/warm weather signs are here…and I’m wearing 2 hoodies because it is ‘unseasonably’ cold…like wintery cold. Seems wrong…or off…or surreal.
Maybe we should work on global cooling…JUST KIDDING on that one.

2 Likes

Currently it’s 61 and sunny :slight_smile: How appropriate, the most southern city in the country was the warmest today at 66 degrees.

65F here this afternoon. Very nice day with very little wind, sunshine. Tomorrow may hit 70F…should be close. Nothing blooming yet.

1st week of May looks mild/warm/hot? across most of US…

1 Like

We have upper 50 today,nice,feel like spring finally here。was outside grafting plums. Just couple of days, all buds are ready to bloom! J.plum shiro.
IMG_20180422_161040183

4 Likes

if GFS is right…heatwave starts Sat…by next Mon-Weds could easily be talking 80F at least 1 or 3 of those days. Mid 60Fs here already…planting stuff in ground.

3 Likes

Raining today, off and on, with more to come tomorrow. It would be nice to go a full week and not get any. It was dry enough to plow, but I still tore up part of the yard with the tractor because it was still damp. But, it’s below a small pond and takes forever to dry out.

At least it’s not supposed to drop below 40 this week.

1 Like

The warmer it gets, the faster it dries out

2 Likes

Yesterday’s temperatures and solar energy

1 Like

Trough into California///southwest flow out of the deserts into the midwest…heat incoming for late weekend/early next week…extended looks like we fall back to probably more normalish weather. Not going to stick around it would seem.

next mon

1 Like

33F this morning…tonite looks chilly…right around freezing. Still no blooms open.

Mon and Tues should be the first 80F readings of the year…although storms look likely.

Second week of May showing some major heat out west…

100F yesterday in Phoenix…1st one i think

1 Like

We got to 90 degrees yesterday…extended forecast into May looks warm. The sooner the heat comes the better because the aphids won’t leave my plums alone.

I would say you might be hitting some record highs in the next 2 weeks.

Just looking at local temps…for the month thru yesterday…we are sitting at 37.6F for the month…the record coldest from 1874 is 39.3F … should be close, but we should set a new record.

1 Like

Frost forecast overnite - a few blooms opening

Wow massive chilling all thru April. You got more this month than I got all winter. Most of my outdoor fruit either didn’t set or won’t grow due to lack of chilling. Your apples will be done blooming two months before mine finish. Seven yrs and I still haven’t seen a bloom on Honeycrisp or Ashmead’s Kernel.

1 Like

This month has been brutal…

I’ve had 1 night above 40F …although no single digits this month.

The core of the cold seems to be sitting over MN…the snow doesn’t help…30+ inches in parts of Wisconsin this month…insanity.

2 Likes

Sunday and Monday could push that higher

Calling for mid 30s tonight and tomorrow night, so I’m a bit worried about the strawberry plants that are blooming pretty heavily now. I was out there this morning, and saw quite a few “black eyes” on the Earliglow plants, but I don’t know why, we haven’t had temps in the 30s for over a week. But, there are also some of them already forming into berries. I’m debating whether to cover them for the next couple nights.

The Jewel plants aren’t blooming yet,but they look like the buds are swelling. But, being a mid-late variety it makes sense that they’re lagging behind the EG.

My weather is a four letter word: SUCK

1 Like

Yeah…i’m too lazy to avg out what it will end up being with the current forecast but should be close.

Today looked nice, but only felt warm if you were out of the wind. That wind was chilly.

I have a few container blooming strawberries, but i moved those into garage.

GFS looks very may like…60Fs 70Fs ///maybe a tad warmer at times. Nothing record breaking, but nothing cold. I think our nights of 30Fs might be coming to an end.