How is your weather? (Part 1)

The deluge looks to be finally done here in East Central Iowa. I think we have had over 10 inches of rain in the last 3 weeks.

The last week was the worst and my new city (Cedar Rapids) is scheduled to flood again in the fall after a big flood in fall 2016.

I am high and dry. We had a decent improvement in moving as my yard isn’t a creek/swamp.

The plus side was I haven’t had to water new sod for the last 3 weeks.

2 Likes

Thought this article might be of interest to those following the dry weather in the SW. In short, it may be time to stop speaking of the current dry conditions as a drought (which implies a return to a higher level of precip) and start thinking that this may be the new normal…

4 Likes

Very good points there

That should wipe the color off the drought map

I’ll start a separate thread for Florence, since it’s getting closer. Latest models not looking great for the Carolinas.

3 Likes

Gordon is putting a little rain down here in southern Illinois. Meteorologists saying up to 7 inches could fall by Sunday.

1 Like

They keep being uncertain how far north it will reach

1 Like

Last time that I looked on the radar,rain was as far north as the Chicago Heights area. Thunder has woke me up and it is pouring here.

The Quincy area, that’s been so dry for so long, has been getting a lot with these latest systems

3.5 inches of rain has fallen over night and is showing no signs of slowing down yet.

@ltilton,I knew that some parts up north were dry. Down state has been getting alot of these systems also. So far we have had 8.5 inches of rain in the last 4 weeks.

100F yesterday and 94F today. Last rain mid April.

1 Like

We had 6" of rain overnight and into today. I don’t think anyone saw that much coming.

2 Likes

We had 7.5 inches with severe flooding here in southern Illinois. Some friends lost thier homes due to Gordon.

:cry:

1 Like

I finally was able to get out and check my rain gauge, as it’s basically been raining off and on all day. We got right at 5in over the last couple days. I can hear the runoff down the creek on the north side of the property. But, it looks like it’s finally done. Good riddance, Gordo!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Are you close to Mt Vernon? I heard they got about 10".

1 Like

I am about 45 min. From Mt.Vernon and have a niece that lives there (on higher ground).I am allso glad gordon has moved on.

1 Like

Been dry and sunny and 70Fs here now for days…last night was 49F so this morning had that fall chill in the air. Lots of dew…dew monster this past week. Looks like we had back into the 80Fs to close out the week…mid 80Fs for weekend…AC coming back on.

Looking ahead…2 weeks out Canada is just pumped full of cold air… .When/if we tap that… grab the jackets.