How is your weather? (Part 1)

lucky. we’ve had a couple frost to mid 20’s so far. cooler this week.

Locally highest total was around 2 inches.

We have a little bit of a warmer area here along the Mississippi River…still not as mild as areas around Milwaukee (L Michigan is a huge heat source). The problem with Milwaukee is the temp can be 80F and if the wind turns off the lake in April or May or even June…the temp can plummet…pneumonia front.

The apple orchards around here are up on the bluffs…where winter nights can stay much warmer (calm/clear). My brother and I use to compare temps and i would be -20F and he would be around 0F (strong high pressure in Jan/Feb)…only difference being him sitting 500ft higher then me.

1 Like

Meanwhile, the Dew Point here is 10°F and the outdoor temperature 65°F.

Our outdoor temperatures have been in the 30s for 29 straight hrs. That’s very unusual for here in Oct. We had very little chilling last winter. Maybe this yr will be better.

1 Like

70’s and 40’s and 50’s… I’ll take it all year

1 Like

Didn’t work brilliantly for me either, but I grew enough to cook! Pretty though.

Had my first oil delivery for this fall/winter, $294.00 for 100 gallons. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Time to get back on here now that the weather is something else beside warm lol. Day time highs are upper 40’s low 50’s. Mid Oct-Nov usually the rains start.

1 Like

How long does that typically last?

Depends on how cold it gets . About a month.

1 Like

I remember as a very young child we had a coal furnace and the coal delivery would come with a great racket and pour the stuff down into the bin in the basement, from which my father would feed the furnace - I’m not sure how.

1 Like

With a shovel into the opening of the furnace. Many early houses were coal. Ours too!

1 Like

I know some houses had automatic coal feeders, but this was a very tiny house - could well have been just a shovel affair

1 Like

Lois then your mom or most likely your Dad shoveled . There was a door on the furnace. Always hated the smell of coal buring. We changed from wood to coal when we had our solar house in Maine. It was dirty and horrible! Glad we sold the house! Coal dust and soot would ruin every thing.

2 Likes

It was my father - I know that.

I always like to watch the “furnace-fighter” scenes in “A Christmas Story” - the clouds of smoke coming thru the damper

1 Like

just had mine filled with kero @ $3.94 a gal.! just a hair under $700! ouch!

1 Like

I planted brassicas early this spring and they were wiped out by the bad late freezes

This fall, I lost some but not all to the bad late heat waves. I put in some later plants, but they’ll never make it to heading before the killing cold.

Figuring when to plant is a crapshoot, hardest when you’re doing transplants

1 Like

Johnny’s carries Cheddar and other colored varieties

1 Like

Wow, our oil was that high or more three years Ago!

1 Like