How is your weather? (Part 1)

Do you grow grapefruit? I’ve noticed that grapefruit (and other citrus) have become very cheap to buy. Tis the season.

Big blob of precip heading up from the south. Temp of 36F with strong winds. Ground is frozen. This should be interesting mix of snow/rain/freezing rain/sleet/etc etc… This fall weather pattern has sucked big time. We had clouds every day this past week. Finding a sunny day has been a needle in the haystack the past 60+ days.

1 Like

Latest weather model… this is why bears hibernate.

snowtotals

2 Likes

No, just 2 limes (Bearrs, and Mexican Lime) Washington Navel orange, and Meyer Lemon. I may try to add a Mandarin in the spring. Grapefruits are a little too tart for our taste buds.

Citrus trees are indeed cheap. 4 Winds growers supplies many of the nurseries and a decent size tree is normally < $29.00 and produces within a year.

1 Like

Yeah…seems like you love them or not. We really like lime/lemons too… Nice that you can grow them…i’d be all over that if i had the climate. I have a grapefruit seedling…maybe some day i’ll try grafting something to it.

2 Likes

Yeah we are very fortunate. We actually have high enough heat for Grapefruit & Washington Navel (which require the most heat of the citrus’) which coastal areas can’t grow. This is also why I can grow poms, but coastal areas struggle. And we stay just mild enough during the winter to avoid damaging cold. It’s a fine balance, and the main reason commercial citrus growers are about 30 miles south of us. Plus the land prices are about 3X lower in the central valley.

1 Like

… in your locale. But just a mile inland from Cayucos CA and Morro Bay (up Morro Creek) it works fine. Many other niches and long extents on the coast exist south of Oxnard too.

True. I was more referring to NorCal. Sweet oranges - nope. Never going to work in SF, Pacifica etc. At least not very tasty.

1 Like

Snowy day today with about 4 to 5 inches on the ground.

7 Likes

Wish I could send our rain to CA! Pouring!

4 Likes

Can you take some of ours(rain I mean)?
This is how my yard looks like pretty march every 3 days of 4 for about two months now:

I am afraid my peach and my plum may not survive this winter with that puddle in between them. And if you look on the very right part of the picture right above white beam - it is not a lazy brick work. It is my soil sunk at least 6 inches deep on the area about 10 sq feet. The yard has natural slope toward top-right of the picture that was raised with boulders, gravel and clay compacted with heavy machinery… This year all the clay liquidized and I guess filled possible holes, making soil level to sink. And the house was not built last year. It was built 15 years ago…

2 Likes

I didn’t know grapefruit needed that much heat. I see the grapefruit i bought are from Texas. 5lbs for 3 bux… can’t beat that. The navels i bought were like 3 for a buck (i’m guessing from California) are excellent.

Hundreds of years ago citrus trees were a status symbol amongst the European nobility :wink: with their orangeries.

When i get down to Madison (about 2 hrs from here) they have some citrus growing in the big greenhouse there.

Around 2 inches of snow here. NAO is set to go positive…usually means cold in the east when that happens this time of year.

NAEFS is about normal around here…with some warmth building into Canada. Nothing extreme either way for the next few weeks…more of the same it would seem.

1 Like

Your trees look great though!! :heavy_check_mark::ok_hand::+1::100:

2 Likes

More rain in the forecast for our location:

2 Likes

You guys need some snow!

1 Like

Some San Diego snowfall would be great… 6 inches at the San Diego zoo :snowman:

Looks cold late week here…Starting Thurs a quick blast of cold…maybe subzero to wake up Fri morning. Trees need to be moved in this week. That will be fun.

Late week GFS this afternoon drops an inch+ of rain on Los Angeles…

Hmm … NWS forecasts it for early AM Wednesday in LA.

Yeah…looks like it comes in pieces…heavier stuff is later… Looks like should be done by early Friday.

1 Like

GOES 17 is suppose to become fully operational Dec 10th so should be able to have some hi res real time sat imagery from the west coast/Pacific Ocean in another week.

https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/content/noaa-goes-17-shares-first-images-alaska-hawaii-and-pacific

3 Likes