How is your weather? (Part 1)

That’s almost a sure bet here. We’ve already had way more cold than all of last winter. It can’t stay like this until March or April. Never does. In fact it’s going to be 70 by Friday.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

We have got all the rain that our friends in California are missing, and they have all the warmth and sun that we miss… I bet @Richard would love to trade some of his sun for some of our chilling hours :blush:

3 Likes

So beautiful - if treacherous

looks like the hoar frost we get on real cold winter nights.

2 Likes

Coldest morning of the year for us. 28F Brrrr.

1 Like

It reached 40° predawn here, but a few miles inland in Escondido it reached 27°.

2 Likes

Wow, that is beautiful. Game of Thrones wire fence! Thanks for the pics!

1 Like

Still raining :unamused::cry: Trees waking up.

TFN

1 Like

We recovered to a balmy 29F for our overnight low last night :grin:
But, it looks like that’s it for the really cold stuff. With “real” rain in the forecast our overnight temps are in the 40’s going forward (thankfully).

2 Likes

At least it’s an apple. Those buds can power through some freezes. You have me paranoid…I need to check my apples.

Yeah, David. I need to go to Ison’s to pick up my vines, but almost afraid to. I would hate to plant them, and then get a brutal cold blast before they acclimate and adjust to their new home.

TFN

It’s ok for apples.

I have an order of 6 muscadine vines sitting fully exposed in pots (they were ordered bareroot). Last weekend they were fully dormant, but I can check for you tomorrow when I get back. I suggest “heeling” yours in some composted mulch in a sheltered spot. Make sure the mulch is not actively composting and giving off heat. If you use mulch, you will need to water frequently in this heat. If you have a big pot you can probably—depending on how many you purchased— fit them in there with some potting soil or pine bark fines. It may be a good idea to rewrite the label with a paint pen or something better than a sharpie. I use metal tags and an engraver.

I plan to go pick my 11 vines up tomorrow, if nothing happens and the creek don’t rise, as they say. My
order was placed in Nov., as bare root, but since I am going to pick them up, they will be in pots. They are the same plants, they usually just shake off the dirt for shipping. Being in pots, I can just keep them in my greenhouse until I am ready to plant. My green house has open sides, which are only let down on cold nights…say below 40°f.

TFN

2 Likes

The lowest temperature in San Diego County this morning was 23F on Mount Laguna, elevation 5,738′. The local news is calling it a “winter blast”. :laughing:

Mt%20Laguna%20low%20temperature%202019-01-03

2 Likes

Last year nearly the entire month of Feb. was HOT! Our daily highs were near-to or in the 80’s. My pecans were coming out of dormancy towards the end of Feb. Two persimmons were blasted by a March frost. I’ve never seen a persimmon get hit by frost prior to this. They recovered well, but no fruit.

1 Like

Yeah, last year, almost all my temperate trees were in full bloom or post bloom by the end of Feb. Then WHAM!!! 24 degrees wipe out nearly everything in March. I had a few Asian Pears and 6 peaches last year out of nearly 30 trees. Lots of small, black plums and nectarines on the ground. My citrus trees did pretty good though.

TFN

2 Likes

I have 4 grafted loquat in full bloom at the moment. I have my fingers crossed for temps above 27 F for the remainder of winter. If I need to, I plan to fill some 55-gallon drums with water and tarp these guys. I may even make a bamboo teepee :wink: since the loquat trees are on the smaller size. I’ve decided smaller is better. If I can’t reach it from the ground, it’s getting lopped.

1 Like

… it’s literally for the birds. Might as well lop it.

2 Likes