How is your weather? (Part 1)

I wonder …

Capture

Seemed to be moisture starved. The main low seemed to split in 2 as it came onshore. Here in Livermore we are almost always rain shadowed at the best on times. But this “storm” was a MAJOR bust. 5-10mph gusts, and the sun is back out with the main front already behind us.

1 Like

This concerns me… Peach…

Asiatic Lillies…
Butterfly bush
Grape Hyacinth…
Garlic …
Daffodils

1 Like

Hmm … perhaps you’ll have to “go western” and install irrigation?

And yes, those plants coming up so early is another “problem”.

1 Like

Magnolia buds are starting to break

1 Like

Awful. So much moisture, everything is soggy. Lichens and moss are going crazy over all the moisture. Weirdly not cold. I’m going to guess that next USDA zone map update is going to be 8a for the MD coastal area I’m at.

Its oddly distressing, I can remember snow and blizzards in November and December as a kid. Now? Maybe January or February, but only maybe.

2 Likes

:astonished:

Not good.

Its everywhere, I think some is growing on the metal mesh table outside, its got a greenish bloom on it.

1 Like

I had irrigation for my first garden and flowers in 2018. It rained so much I had stuff rotting in the garden. I planted seeds that rotted and the rosemary and lavender almost was wiped out from so much moisture. I decided to just do weekend watering this year and only water what absolutely needs it. Seems I’m only going to need to have any irrigation during drought times. Rain here is seriously not an issue the last two or three years…

1 Like

Here comes the next storm!

I sure hope this one lives up to the hype. As mentioned, yesterday was a dud for NorCal. I heard parts of SoCal overperformed. That’s a nice flip, for a change!

1 Like

Rainy here. I much prefer the liquid moisture to the fluffy kind.

It dumped about 3/8" overnight here. It looks like the current storm is on its way to Utah.

1 Like

I’d take that. It’s very light rain here in my rain shadowed location, with a paltry .07" so far today.
However they are wishcasting another 1.00" to arrive later today with the heavier front.

1 Like

Another sunny and beautiful day here, high around 70. I saw geese flying north today.

TFN

1 Like

This is our warmest Winter so far in the past 10 years here, 6B. Maybe 5 nights with single digit lows, many nights in low 20’s, only one snow that barely covered the ground,and then Bam! A week in the 40s and dry, followed by a week in the 40’s and constant rain, and now a week with daytime temps in the mid 50’s and nights in the mid 40’s. I’ve got violets blooming, daffodils up 4 inches, and insects out. No bees of course, but moths, adult grasshoppers(never adults in Winter), and ladybugs. The Peach buds are swelling along with the Apricots. Those Apricots are always early and suffer the late frosts, once blooming the 2nd week of Feb here in 6B, but usually early March. I took advantage of the sunny day to crawl around and do some badly needed weeding. Accidentally dug up 4 Tree Frogs and 2 Toads, so quickly "re-hibernated them, seemed odd they were only 2 inches under the soil. I lost all to late freezes last year, hope it’s not a repeat this year. This is my 5th year expecting Apricots, so of course I’m again confident this is the year!

4 Likes

We had .27 inches overnight of rain…45F right now. All snow gone again. Ground is frozen so water is pooling again.

Sat was beautiful with low 50Fs and sunshine.

GFS hints at real winter temps after the 20th…we’ll see. NAEFS is mild. What a strange winter.

1 Like

We wrapped the weekend with a very respectable 1.10" of rain. And typical high 50’s - low 60’s aft temps.

1 Like

Thanks to a few days in the mid 30s and a bit of misty rain this a.m., a bunch of snow from the south side roof of our house came off a bit ago. No idea how many tons of snow it was, but it sure was a PITA to get rid of. I do like our metal roof, but when a foot or two of snow comes off…it’s pretty dangerous.

1 Like

Don’t like the weather in MN, just wait a little bit…it’ll change.

Today a wind advisory with steady winds 20-30 mph and gusts to 40+. Below zero windchill tonight and single digit highs tomorrow.

1 Like