How is your weather? (Part 1)

i don’t give lights or heat and they have access to the run which they use quite a bit. I’m just starting to get eggs now that the days are getting longer. about 5 a day now which isn’t bad for 10 hens. i scatter cracked corn in the coop so they keep the straw in there well turned. surprised i haven’t gotten any duck and geese eggs yet as they are the oldest birds in the coop.

1 Like

Since I just moved to a radically different climate, I feel the need to jump into this thread and brag about my new weather reality. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Congratulations @joehewitt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All covered under10" of snow

9 Likes

Very nice pic, makes you shiver looking at it. Is the limbs in the foreground one of your fruit trees?

I have 16 hens. Four are Orpingtons, I’ve been getting one egg a day (from my white Leghorn) for quite a while. I don’t add light so once molting hit and the days shortened they took time off. I’ve been noticing some combs and wattles reddening and growing, so I’m hoping we will start to get more soon.

2 Likes

5 degrees today. In two days 51 degrees!

1 Like

Yes, tried to avoid it but I just didn’t want stay out long to look for a better spot

You know it’s been cold when you get an 18 degree sunny day and it feels warm outside. I had too many layers on for today’s walk

1 Like

Had thin sheet of ice on the car after the freezing rain today,not fun at all

Driveway - sheet of glaze

1 Like

5-9 degrees. Our gas company National Grid, made a huge mistake. They let our gas lines flatline (their mistake) so, we have no gas in Newport, RI for a week. No gas dryer, no stove or oven and no hot water. Thank goodness my house is heated with oil. Best to have a back up convection (counter top) oven, which I do. Many of the people on our island have to go to shelters. It is a mess. Friends greenhouses blew up (all of the pipes burst). The good news is National Grid will have to pick up the tab for anything that has to do with gas in our houses. They have admitted to their mistake. They have brought in over 1,000 extra National Grid employees to help shut off each meter (door to door, no announcement) and then then turn them back on (door to door no announcement) over the next week. I might take longer. I have had no hot water for only a day, and I feel like a pioneer with fancy curtains! Your Mrs. G

5 Likes

Hope your gas line will be turned on soon. With such cold temperatures, I can’t image how to survive without heating in the house for those who use gas as source of heating like most of us do here

w/o gas, in this coming week’s weather, we’d have to shut off our water pipes to keep them from freezing

I have oil heat. Gas is missing for clothes dryer, hot water and stove and oven.

Naefs showing maybe some record cold for parts of N Dakota and MN in early Feb? What is that…like -50F? Something to watch. Still going to be brutal cold down here. 12z GFS shows several days of -20F likely for my backyard. Yippee! yeah! Some more snow too next week (3-6 inches?) before the polar vortex shows up .

1 Like

Looks like a good 10 day stretch of drinking weather :roll_eyes:

1 Like

OMG!!! Great for my business…Booze…

2 Likes

From a colleague …

3 Likes

So, in other words, slightly colder then planet Mars (overnight only)?

2 Likes