How is your weather? (Part 1)

I don’t think windchill impacts LP, only actual temp. We have electric in-floor heat as well as an electric heat pump (which would be very inefficient at these temps, but better than nothing) so we won’t freeze to death…unless the electricity goes out :open_mouth:

If it hits -45 actual temp here, I’m moving

4 Likes

I can’t see out my office window right now its a total whiteout.

That seems very sensible :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This winter is nice so far. Hope it stays this way.

1 Like

Any other northerners have an update like you WI or MN folk? https://youtu.be/ZZ3iZSOp8hk

C-c-c-c-old!

2 Likes

Temps falling here finally…we were up to -1F but now down to -7F…we actually had some very light snow move thru…

All the way down to -27F tonite. Record for Jan 30th is -37F from 1951… so that one will be safe…

Thurs morning should be the winner…Jan 31st, 1994 holds record at -30F…that one should fall.

Will be interesting to see if we can top or tie the Feb 3, 1996 reading of -36F…probably not but something to watch.

-27 here right now. Windchill in the mid -50s

That is where we should end up by morning…nws has -27F… That Uhaul you are going to need to move is probably not going to start! :wink:

We can dream of heatwaves that are bound to return someday… (for some reason i have this saved in my weather files)…

2 Likes

What the heck?Yes,that is horrible,but it’s things like this,that should make people stronger.Not pleasant at all,though.bb

1 Like

Looks like you’ll see that -30 tonight and then some. Did you happen to go outside today, and if so, what was it like?

Checked on Bemidji and it’s already -30 with -41 forecast?!?

Fargo has declared a state of emergency

What will most likely happen to trees listed zone 5 if they see temps of -25?

Woah… Not good… Be safe

-15F here…dropping quickly… beach volleyball weather.

2 Likes

I doubt -25 will do it, but I’ve read about temps getting cold enough people report hearing the trees crack and split in the night.

For sensitive trees like peaches, -25F could very well kill them. I’ve read temps as low as -15 killing peach wood. I’ve also read where peaches survived -25 just fine. I’m talking about mature healthy trees here. Young peach trees are much more susceptible to cold.

I suspect it has some to do with the varieties and some to do with how dormant the trees are. Right now trees should be in maximum dormancy.

Ya, if we don’t see mid -30s I’ll be a bit surprised. -29 right now. I was outside for awhile today. It was brisk :roll_eyes: A person wouldn’t want to be out there unprepared, that’s for sure

Minnesotans call Bemidji “Brrrrrmidji” for a reason. It’s friggin’ cold up there. Just think, there’s another 90 minutes - 2 hours of MN north of there.

2 Likes

Oh ya, the woods will get to cracking when it’s -25 or lower. Even native trees like aspens, paper birches, and young burr oaks will have frost cracks after cold spells like this one.

6 Likes

I’ve got 13F in my garage… I put a sensor out there to keep an eye on my container tree temps. Milwaukee lakeshore is the warm spot with -2F… They still look to go down to near -20F.

1 Like

Wax, the sensor in the garage is a good idea. I put a thermometer in there one winter out of curiosity, and the temp in there wasn’t much different than the outside temp, even with a fireplace on the other side of the wall. Some of the garage walls are even insulated.