How is your weather? (Part 1)

Looks like it bottomed out at -34 here. Thankfully the wind slacked way off, so the windchill is “only” -53

3 Likes

Last polar vortex, 2014, a neighbor’s peach trees were killed

I didn’t have any at the time. Now I’ll see how hardy Mericrest is. Tonite we’re supposed to go down even lower, to 27.

Lois, do you remember how cold it got then?

The paper had a list of record colds and put that one at -16, for Chicago, tho I recall it as being closer to -20. But the spell lasted longer.

I don’t recall if we had a good snow cover that year.

1 Like

https://apnews.com/eb804911d7074747be1d8c02a5f83c57

When I went to bed at about 12:30, it was 18, I got up briefly at 1:30 it had gone up to 23. I checked the radar and there was some snow off to the NW, but didn’t think it’d do much. There was no snow on the ground. Well, this morning we awoke to 2" and about 12 degrees. It got down to 10 before rising to 15 now.

No school today and I doubt there will be tomorrow.

With snow on the ground now, that previously forecast 4 degree low will now prob be below zero. Wondering how my blackberry canes will handle this cold.

Curious what @warmwxrules, @Barkslip, @northwoodswis4, @applebacon and others got down to this morning.

1 Like

No power in those temperatures would be brutal. I really don’t even want to consider the possibility.

Much thanks to all the people that have to work outside restoring power and the like…!!

3 Likes

The orchard we visit a lot over in Paris lost most of their peach trees in 2014 or 2015 because of the cold. They said it got at least down to -20 that year if not lower. It might have been in '15 because it got down to about -15 here.

Because of the usual late freezes, they had no crop in '17 and maybe 20% in '18.

Wow, that’s just inconceivable. Gone out for your daily stroll yet? Do y’all have pets, and if so, do they stay inside during cold like this?

Paris TX right? I’m surprised it got that cold in Paris, TX or France. Minus 20 in Paris TX? The all time record in Amarillo is -13F. I saw -12 there and there was no damage. Amarillo should be colder than Paris but those extremes can by shewed.

Our real temps got to -5 last night with 25mph winds leading to a -29 real feel. However i think @smsmith had an actual teml of -29. Lake Michigan shore is 11 miles west of my small town of Custer (2010 census has our population at 285).

We have a crap ton of snow though in the last 48hrs. Its still snowing, plus its so cold it dont stick any where and its blowing 20+mph through tomorrow so it moves like the desert sands…

Live look out my front door…

3 Likes

No, sorry, I should have said Paris, KY, about an hour NE of Lexington, and about 2 hours west of us. It’s not a very big town, maybe smaller than Paris, TX, which I’ve been through a few times.

Paris, KY is in Bourbon county, go figure.

1 Like

Wow, that’s wild. I bet walks out to fill the boiler is fun, yes? How often do you have to fill it?

Nope, my fat behind is staying inside for the most part today. Yes, we have an outside dog and cat. The dog has been inside the house for a couple days now. The cat usually sleeps in an thickly insulated box I built for her. The box is on the south side of the house, so once the sun comes up it gets warm in a hurry. The last two nights we moved her box to the garage.

3 Likes

Here are the temperatures from suburb chicago

3 Likes

I had -26F or -27F last night …looks like winds kept everything mixed so most areas were around the same tmep locally.

low temps

Tonite should have good radiational cooling…no mixing.

1 Like

A buddy of mine lives just north of Madison, WI. He had -26 this morning. That’s pretty chilly for that area

My garage temp sensor showed 3.2F for a low temp…so far so good. It is somewhat insulated (ceiling/garage door) plus there is a car in there…

Normally morning and night, but this is way colder than we normally are and im leaving shortly to help a dairy farmer so im gonna put another piece or 2 in before i leave. It actually burns way more effeciant in any temp below 32 degrees.

1 Like