How is your weather? (Part 1)

Nice pic!

Just got a text from kids’ school. Snow day tomorrow! Calling for 3-6” of snow tomorrow.

4-8" today, 1-3" Friday, 3-5" Saturday, 1-3" Sunday. Of course my plow truck is in the shop getting new power steering lines to replace the ones that ruptured last week. Gonna be a lotta snow blowing time with a 330’ driveway.

Heard our new governor waved the state requirement for instructional days in schools yesterday. Shockingly…lots of schools are closed today. I can’t help but believe this is all part of the “softening” of America. Sure, it’s snowing…it’s MINNESOTA. It snows here.

2 Likes

man it was so bright here! had a big ring of ice crystals around it!

2 Likes

Rain started then mixed in a little sleet at 34 degrees about 12 hours ago…now 46 and raining cats and dogs…well, not literally. But over 2 inches on already saturated ground…with no break in sight.

Still…glad it’s not in the form of snow!

Ours had school but the roads were rough. Slow going. Didn’t see any accidents though…

1 Like

The snowmageddon we were supposed to get quit at >1". Three days of constant “it’s going to be a major winter storm, hide the kids, dogs, and livestock” turned into a heavy dusting, a billowing skiff.

Has been raining hard here off and on since midnight, with some more on the way. As I sit here inside the house, I can hear the roaring water from the nearby drainage creek, which usually is just a trickle. I can see the main creek from my kitchen window and its up a lot. My rain gauge is cracked, so I don’t know how much we got, but my guess is at least 2" so far.

My wife who is a sub teacher was suppoed to work today, but they had a two hour delay. My guess is because of the high water wouldn’t be as easy to see around daybreak.

Glad I got out there yesterday to get my soil samples, or I’d have to wait another week for it to dry out enough. I also did some weeding of the strawberry patch, which looked awful, but is a bit better now, even though it seems I’ve lost a few plants. Maybe the crowns are still there, and will pop back up in a couple months.

1 Like

Snow , sleet and then rain on the way tonight! In the 20’s today, 51 tomorrow! Snow drops are out!

Is anyone near SW Michigan? I have Tubers and plants coming from there and they say they won’t be shipped until they can dig them from the ground. Just wondering if they are still in deep freeze?

Looks like 5 to 6 inches of snow fell here.

Tomorrow i get up on the roof with the shovel. This is insane… GFS shows a LOT Of moisture this weekend… around 2 inches of liquid…most? should fall as rain here.

NAEFS for the 1st week of March… Early “spring” looks awfully cold.

1 Like

Tough to say for sure how much snow we got here with the wind, but I’d say all of 6" and not more than 8". Forecast calling for another 2-6" Friday-Saturday. We’ve already got the all time record for snowiest February. It can stop anytime now…really.

Looks like below zero low temps all next week

Yes…very cold air looks to invade from the north…looking at the euro it would appear the vortex breaks in half and one piece heads over this way… Euro next Friday

This breaks S and east over us… March coming in like a lion for sure…at least in terms of cold.

1 Like

Looking at the heat up at the pole, seems to be pushing the cold out and down

snowing here ( big surprise) 3-6in. expected. another round sun of about the same amount then back in the freezer next week with below avg. temps in the single digit -0 evenings. i think i can see the glaciers coming down from Quebec!

5 Likes

Do roofs cave in? ice damming? With this snow you can really see those houses that aren’t insulated very well. I saw icicles driving down the road the other day that would be big enough that a person could easily be impaled.

2 Likes

:astonished:

The other day I drove past a two story home that had icicles hanging from the roof and they were almost touching the ground. Lots of older homes in this area have large icicles. I sometimes wish I would’ve sprung for doing spray in foam insulation on this place. When we ran the numbers, it would have taken around 10 years to break even. Then that sounded like quite awhile, now it’s only a few more years. I could still have it done now I suppose.

7:30pm and the temperature is already down to 41°F. As precaution we brought our Cambucas and young banana plant indoors. I then topped the banana to insure it wasn’t rotting under the shriveled winter leaves.

SH-3640%20topped%202019-02-21

3 Likes

Our weather is making no sense this year. It’s almost the end of Feb. and we’ve had more ice than anything else. The sun is out. I will prune and spray this coming Sunday. Should be close to 50 degrees. Have some sawing to do this year. Ugh!

1 Like