How is your weather? (Part 1)

More is on the way this weekend here… about an inch of rain is looking more and more likely… with that turning to snow as storm moves away.

1 Like

14 here this morning and clear. I had to turn on the heat lamp in our food cellar last night as it dropped to 35 in there. I had my spotlight with me, and on the way back up to the house, I shown it up towards the back orchard and lo and behold, there were about five pairs of green eyes shining back at me. I started walking towards them and they took off up the hill further into the trees. Stupid deer.

3 Likes

Cold again but the sun is out and temp is on the rise…maybe 20Fs today.

12z gfs that just came out shows the low this weekend stayin gmore south which results in heavy snow for me :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: nooo…go away

Amazing how little the snow has melted so far in March…like none…

2 Likes

No heat in sight here yet. But a pleasant low 60’s mostly sunny day.

SO weekend storm (rain/snow/something) is a given…now models show storms #2 midweek… that one looks much warmer (low heads towards Minneapolis)… so all rain here.

Got lucky last night. They were calling for 32 degrees for 8 hours. It only fell to 36. No Frost. We’ll see tonight…Still calling for 32 again…

4 Likes

NWS hasn’t ventured a guess as to totals here yet. Weather Underground has gone back and forth from 5-8" to 8-12" on Saturday and 3-5" to 5-8" on Wednesday. I hope it all goes north or south or somewhere else.

1 Like

I think we didn’t really get to 21, but I can’t find out how to see history in Weather Underground on a cell phone. There’s a station close to my house.

It’ll be great if we were higher by just a few degrees! I have peaches, J plums and a little almond bloom. Those peaches last year were the best fruit I’ve ever had, too, lol. Mislabeled tree!

I didn’t. Went below forecast of 28° down to 23°. Can you say “Wipe Out”.

14 here two nights in row…we will hope damage minimal.

Sorry guys. That stinks. I hope all turns better…

Apple trees had green tip at this week in 2018, and some loss was experienced at 18 or so degrees 2 or 3 nights after this point…….but I had apples, and blueberries, just not heavy crop.
So, actually, since apples are mostly not swollen or leafing, two nights of 14 and one of 24 isn’t going to hurt apples in KY I don’t think But, those trees in bloom such as some peaches, plums or apricots…are history for this year I suppose. Pears…not sure yet. Blueberries probably fine.

But, I can see how Mississippi or even Houston TX got some damage this week, as things were farther along.

We got down to 21 after all, darnit. The forecast was exactly right if you switch the two nights. I thought I was clear after yesterday.

But I have a lot of buds not opened. The peach I’m concerned about did well (enough) with this same temp last year.

10F yesterday morning. 6 F right now. Even though everything seems dormant, this low temp makes me uncomfortable esp. for stone fruit like apricots and peaches this time of the year.

1 Like

Another snowy day, Omaha public school just called to cancel all class. This is not a typical March at all. We should be in the 50s by now. More rain and mix snow on Saturday.

2 Likes

I agree. My apricot trees (only have 3) are loaded with buds this year, just hate seeing another year go by with no apricots! The trees are finally old enough to produce fruit; wrong zone. :disappointed_relieved:

NWS now gives a storm total for Saturday/Saturday night of 7-13". More next week as well.

Yippee

1 Like

Been watching every model run…the trend was north some, but the GFS that just came out looks a little south of me now. Still would be mainly rain and would put Minneapolis more in the heavy stuff. I’d also be getting my shovel ready in Rochester.

Storm #1

1 Like

Next week --should-- be rain. Cuts way west. Will be a big snow for areas of the Dakotas.

Storm #2

2 Likes

as much as id like rain over snow ,I’m hoping we get some slow melting before any amount of rain. the emergency agencies are already preparing for major flood conditions this spring. sadly , my brother is in another flood prone area. he lost his house in our record flood in 08’ at least that was a rent. now his guides business is at risk! in normal years the water comes within 50ft. of the building. watching and praying!

2 Likes