How is your weather? (Part 1)

I wish I could but I can’t plant anything till I get my hill graded. Which I can’t till some other things happen. So I’ve been grafting on existing trees but they are all in their last stages…

1 Like

You lucky man!!!

48 degrees bright sun, and warm. Unzipped jacket for the first time in months! I still have to prune my orchard. Too much rain last month and now it is like a giant mud pie! So will brave the muck tomorrow and leaves my boots at the door!

3 Likes

Looks like California warms up nicely…LA looks to head towards 80F late Weekend/early next week. GFS does bring in a chance of rain after the 20th…

38F here today…nice and sunny/not much wind. The streets were a mess in areas. Pothole season too…some craters out there.

Got to 27 or 28 today. The sun sure felt good though. Tomorrow supposed to hit 39. Too bad it’s going to be cloudy. Inch plus of rain on Wednesday. Eesh

2 Likes

Really interested in how the river is going to react to all that snowmelt. Still mostly frozen around me. Looks like areas south will see it first. Ice fishing is going to get a little risky by this weekend in areas.

NWS lse
In addition, the precipitable water values will climb into the 1 to 1.25 inch range. This is around 4 standard deviations above the 1979-2009 CFSR climatology. The GEFS plumes have an average around 1 inch for La Crosse and 1.2 inches in Rochester. This rainfall will be on top of the rapid release of water from the snow pack. Southwest Wisconsin and northeast Iowa will be the first to see the snow ripen (when the snow pack will start to release water). Elsewhere, the snow pack will ripen on Wednesday night and Thursday morning. This will result in rapid rises on area rivers and streams. With the potential of river flooding looking more likely on the Mississippi tributaries

current snow depth… that all has to go somewhere.

2 Likes

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I always thought Muscovy Ducks were the ugliest of all ducks! They have those red warty-looking growths and are black and white mostly without color. South Florida has declared war on them and golf courses and neighborhood associations are hiring people to club them TO DEATH (obviously very controversial). I don’t like that at all, but I think there are lots of prettier ducks! Oh well…to each his/her own when it comes to beauty, right?

Here in northern TN, We are having our very first warm (60’s) and sunny days in a very long time, and I’ve been using it to spray my trees with copper and oil. Unfortunately they are calling for more rain later this week.

1 Like

Ugh… Not over yet…

Indeed beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you think the red warted face is ugly then you probably will think turkey is also ugly too.

1 Like

I use to duck hunt when i was younger. I always thought wood ducks were the best looking of the bunch. Lots of varities can be found around here in fall. I was more the “spray and pray” type of duck hunter. I didn’t shoot many, nor was i a big fan of duck meat. Nothing better then biting into some steel pellets. Even in the dead of winter there is open water near my house that is full of ducks. Those mallards do not like moving if they don’t have to.

2 Likes

Clouds moving in quickly to the area. Strong south winds. GFS has really cut back on the precip amounts here (thank you)… it might not hit 60F but it should come close…> lots and lots of snowmelt incoming.

2 Likes

AMEN to that!

Warmest day here in months = 37. Snow pack is compressing rapidly. Really tough snowshoeing today, feet felt like I was carrying around cement blocks. Forecast looks like maybe we won’t get much over an inch of rain tomorrow/tomorrow night, so that’s good.

2 Likes

Driveway and dirt roads are literal sheets of ice. It’s going to be awfully dangerous around here for awhile.

1 Like

same here had to salt the driveway so the wife doesn’t fall. supposed to hit 39f today. beautiful sunshine!

2 Likes

70 today and 72 tomorrow with thunderstorms…Kentucky. It won’t be raining if I start doing benchgrafts INDOORS tomorrow!

2 Likes

Ya, I threw 50 lbs. of softener salt on my gravel driveway just so we can make it down the hill with vehicles or on foot. I hope to get at least one narrow strip of gravel exposed so there’s some consistent traction.

I thought the rain would melt the ice in front of my house . No such luck. It just got thicker. i have a low spot (its been a problem every spring) that is shaded by the house all winter and i usually just wait until it melts some and then hook up a transfer or utility pump and pump it out but its still solid…i need an ice fishing auger.

2 Likes

We’ll make it run at 60F tomorrow… but its short lived. Should freeze back up good Sat/Sun nights. Weekend looks nice though…upper 30Fs and sunshine.

1 Like

Well finally a winter storm that isn’t fizzling out. Area is under a Blizzard warning, and it is happening. Got a foot of wet heavy snow so far and this afternoon is supposed to be the heaviest snows with the winds kicking up even more. At this rate, probably will get 18-24" of snow. It’s going to be a while before travel is possible (County usually takes a day or so to get to our road after big storms, and I have to get the drive cleared too)

Interesting that coming into this storm, most weather services were lowering their forecasted snow totals. We already have surpassed NWS’s 6-10" and Weather Underground is still saying 5-8" (they were at 3-5" until just recently). Well I suppose it will help their averages, all season long they were way over predicting snow amounts, bout time the went to the other side.

3 Likes