How is your weather? (Part 1)

That would be a good trade. People around here are so water starved that they’ll take snow, even hail as long as it’s not too big.

You end up with soil and after the hail melts we’ve still got rocks.

2 Likes

Well maybe it’s just the fruit growing gods trying to level the playing field for many of us.

Turned out the weather forecast was off, (thanks, goodness).

We had good and warm yesterday and today. Rain will arrive tonight and stay almost all day tomorrow.

Hit 81 for me today…but dropped to 68 already. Didn’t realize there might have been tornado watches in Kentucky…no sirens were heard by me.

High of 56 tomorrow…so I’ll have to bundle up and put my winter clothes back on!

Wow…a 35 degree drop in six hours! From 81 to 46…with 35 to 38 expected tonight.
(Translation: frost in some spots if the wind dies down.)

Man it’s been a rough winter and now a rough spring. Lots of blowing and drifting snow this winter plus temps around -30f to -35f caused me to be limited to one acess road in and out. Once that let go and the spring melt began some of the previous blocked roads opened up only to wash out my main dirt road on Sunday. Then we got a heavy blizzard on Thursday that drifted my secondary route. At this point it’s almost comical and I feel like I’m playing musical chairs with the way I can travel out. I just smile knowing it’s almost done and it’s about time to start another planting, growing, and harvesting season.

6 Likes

hang in there! its been very bad here too. getting heavy rain right now with still 2ft of snow on the ground and 3ft of ice still locked up in the rivers. when this 1.5in. of rain hits the ice barrier on the rivers, we are certainly going to flood. i feel for the people in my home town as they are in a flood prone area that flooded badly in '08. my brothers place was under 10ft. of water.

Well compared to your brother previous situation I’m living in paradise. Hope all goes fine for you and those in your area.

1 Like

thanks. the next 36 hrs. will tell.

Around here it’s a problem of too much water. Wells around here only go down about 60ft and that is the good stuff. A lot of older wells only go down about 25 feet. Excellent water but hard and pH is high.

As we look at the end of April…a very summer? like look to the east.

3 Likes

Starting about this Sat…looks like finally a stretch of 60Fs or better… Should really start blooming out.

In 2017 my apricots were in full bloom today… in 2018 they were covered in snow on this date…

The Great Melt in progress

this was in the morning,about 4"

This is now

3 Likes

You could see the sat loop this afternoon the snow just disappearing as the day went on… Mid April sun just eats it right up. The light reflection off that field must have been insane.

Time sensitive, but this is a big loop of more or less the whole day. Really cool watching that snow disappear across Illinois.

3 Likes

Are we gonna get more snow or this is it??

:unamused:

Highly unlikely at this point…especially with long range models showing everything spring.

I just want my stupid trees to bloom so i can figure out what is dead so i can cut them down.

2 Likes

Lighten up!

Sitting at 35 here a bit after midnight, kinda worried about a freeze here tonight with a lot of blooms out. It’s not supposed to get below freezing, so hopefully it won’t drop too much more.

1 Like

37 at 4 a.m. for me, Bob. I don’t think that will hurt much. But, early tomato plants and the like, might blacken a few leaves in low-lying locations. / AND strawberries usually get killed by frost if the blooms are wide open.