How is your weather? (Part 1)

Oh i really don’t care if they are dead or not. I just want to remove them asap to figure out if i should replant anything. Judging from what i saw yesterday…most things are showing green. The sweet cherry for sure survived…which i find amazing after -30F… I may still remove trees.

I can tell at least one container peach is toast.

Should be near 70F and sunny today. Then rain and then warm back up for the weekend.

Gardenia are happy to be outside. I have 7 pots of them total…overwintered fine inside.

1 Like

Well, it got to 32.5 here on the hill, so not too bad.

Well, I guess those got fried then, there were lots of strawb blooms open yesterday. Same thing happened last year. We still got a small crop, but that was their first year to produce.

Edit: I did some research just now and open blooms are sensitive at 30 degrees, so they might be okay, but will check for “black eye” blossoms later this week to see how they did.

We don’t have any veggies out yet, other than some onion sets. My wife bought seed potatoes and wanted get them in the ground by Good Friday, but that’s not going to happen, as I haven’t plowed and tilled yet.

1 Like

one thing good about all our snow as stuff like strawberries are covered until the beg. of may most years. by time they bloom there is no longer killing frosts. its one of the fruits here that will always produce regardless of the weather. can’t say that about fruit trees here. I’ve got 1 apple left. if i lose that its just bush fruit and strawberries from now on.

Rob,
You’re da man!!! I love gardenia but killed a few over winters. They did not like my dry house. What is your secret to keep them alive and well through your winter (that is even longer than mine).

With your advice, I may try it again. I like the smell of it.

Just going from memory… water about every 2 weeks (they dry quickly). Watch for mites (i gave mine showers). I put mine right in front of south facing sliding glass door…did just fine. I use peat moss+small pine bark chips for soil and then fert often enough during warm months.

They have very shallow root systems so no need for huge pots.

Last summer i just put mine right in full sun. Didn’t seem to bother them any. I did water a lot.

I ordered a pack of them off Ebay last year. Great plants. I’ve had good luck with Ebay tropicals.

Thanks. Would Neem oil spray before going in the house in the fall worked.

I have had mites and scales on my pepper plants this winter. Insecticidal soap did not work.

Sorry everyone for hijacking the thread. I really want to try gardenia again and Rob is so successful with them.

1 Like

New azaleas got their blooms fried - which I why I don’t like to plant them blooming

You could try neem. I’ve only used it on outside trees. I think if you don’t let them build up to super colonies they aren’t that bad. They mainly just discolor the leaves (plumeria really gets hit by them). Give them a shower in the bathtub and watch their families go down the drain :slight_smile:

62F at noon…beautiful day.

2 Likes

After 4" of snow melted away, here still standing is my runner bean👍

1 Like

My fig has been torched from going in and out of the sun. Like torched…it’ll have to grow new leaves. Oops.

Oh…and finches are eating the leaves off my sunflower seedlings…eh! Luckily i have quite a few and they are super fast growing.

Cloudy now.

Spray trazicide outside, let dry then bring in the plants back inside, only thing to kill mites and scale, particularly scale, oh and mealy bugs.

Heaviest rain/storms holding over S Mn lifting north. Some very heavy rains over that way. Just catching the edge of it here. Looks like the Minneapolis area will be under the good stuff soon.

Mildest overnight so far…only dropped to 50F. Left out all my plants.

radar from now… Amazing amount of heavy rain falling across MN this afternoon…
minnesotarains

The talk of 3 days of rain appears to be evaporating quickly here now. I looked at the forecast this morning and we were down to 0.12" forecast and 75% POP. Now we are down to 0.03" and 50% PoP.

This is excellent news as I have my Cummins order scheduled for delivery tomorrow! It might be raw on Friday, but I will plant trees anyways. I’ve got 4 that were in pots planted so far, only a dozen more to go. Ha!

2 Likes

I think its not quite over here… although the heaviest (2+ inches) looks to have dropped from Mankato east towards Redwing. Looks like the low is just getting organized some on the visible sat.

80° here today. And only getting hotter in the next few days.

Couldn’t ask for better weather the last couple weeks. mid upper 70’s to 80’s and not much rain. Expecting a bit of a cold snap over the weekend where we’ll hit the 50’s at night, but check out that sunset…

7 Likes

Ugh. So much for looking at the forecast. We ended up with a 30 min downpour as I was coming home from work and got 0.4" of rain. Windy and in the 50’s today and tomorrow.

1 Like

I saw that Phoenix might be near 100F Friday… Looks to stay hot out there… upper 80Fs and back into the 90Fs next week… a sign of summer.

1 Like

We “only” ended up with .45…but north of here got hammered so the river is coming right back up (never really having dropped much)… The high river is annoying because it closes a lot of the bike trails so you can’t use them.

This weekend looks very nice…sunny and low 60Fs tomorrow…70F Sat and upper 60Fs Sunday… today sucks. 42F and clouds.