How is your weather? (Part 1)

it can stay there!

18z GFS looks like more rain north (here) and heavy snow southā€¦ Good hit on Madison and a good hit on S Michiganā€¦for heavy snow. Madison needs it. They love snow down there in late April.

I put plastic (cheap roll of menards plastic) over my low tunnel hoopsā€¦so my tomats are all coveredā€¦i can also throw blankets over them Sat night (i have a huge box full of old blankets for this very purpose)ā€¦ I do have to figure out the artichokes i planted. Do i cover them (they are still small) or dig themā€¦hmmmā€¦iā€™ll probably cover them. I could also throw some chrstimas lights in there too for some heatā€¦i still have until Friday night to figure it outā€¦

Potted up a bunch of sugar cane seeds that sprouted.

Rained all dayā€¦clear nowā€¦ tomorrow should be 60F or soā€¦

Interesting, sugar cane has seeds?!

It must. The seeds i had last year were garbage. They sprout super fast if placed on a good heat source.

Lots of wind today but at least the sun is shining.

6z continues to show that far south Wi/S Michigan hit of snow. Sure doesnā€™t look like any real warmup next week either.

same here. nice to see the sun finally. lots to do in the yard yetā€¦

1 Like

Summer has arrived.
Tomatoes are flowering, cherries are plumping up, apples have already flowered, and of course citrus blooming like crazy!

Do you grow dragonfruit?

I was watching a vlog video out of Japan a few days ago. They sold some mangoes (grown in southern Japan) for around $5000. It was interesting ā€¦they flower in January there in greenhouses. Crazy how early then can get fruit.

Looking at day 10 euroā€¦the whole western USA is under high pressure dome of summer heat. East coast gets a taste of spring chilll. Iā€™m stuck inbetween.

It was up to 80F in the low tunnel with the tomatoes. Iā€™ll probably kill them with heat.

12z GFS looks almost a tad south with the snow. Wi/IL border region looks prime for the snow monster.

1 Like

I donā€™t grow Dragonfruit myself, but they are grown in this area as well. My climate unlike closer to the coast can grow many high heat requirement fruits/veg. For example my Wonderfull pomegranate fruited in under 3 years from a 10" tall twig from Dave Wilsons at a local nursery. Poms LOVE hot/dry. That 3 year old Wonderfull is already 12ā€™ tall (after pruning) and expect it to produce 30+ poms in just itā€™s 4th year coming up. Heat is the great equalizer (as long as itā€™s not ARZ type heat, which we can get too).

1 Like

How about olives? I have an olive tree that i keep inside in the winter, and outside summerā€¦i just repottedā€¦still smallish.

1 Like

@warmwxrules what do you think the low temperatures will get down to in Dane county (southern edge)? Iā€™ve mostly seen around 25 but a few places have it a bit higher or lower.

I donā€™t but they are practically everywhere. We have a few commercial Olive groves making commercial olive oil a mile from me. They are basically bullet proof and also love the very hot dry climate. Just like their homeland in the middle east.

Very tough to say depending on wind/skies conditions and of course snowcover (which may help protect things)ā€¦ It wonā€™t take much to drop to mid 20Fs considering once the snow starts, the temp is going to drop to around freezing and below. 25F sounds pretty doableā€¦hopefully it stays above thatā€¦ Being here (La Crosse) iā€™m probably going to clear out sooner tomorrow night so iā€™ll be dealing with more clear skies/calmer windsā€¦yikes. Iā€™m going to triple cover my artichokes.

1 Like

Concerned about heavy snow load on leafed-out trees

I double covered a few things (2 buckets)ā€¦iā€™ll blanket them tomorrow night after the precip is done (sounds like all snow here)ā€¦ They are saying lots of wind so iā€™ll have to keep an eye out.

Moved all my potted plants back inside (i need a greenhouse).

The crazy thing is even the roads will probably get slick with such high snow rates (1-2 inches an hour).

1 Like

I covered a few of the vegetable beds tonight, broccoli, garlic and onions. Low hoops with agribond row cover then a tarp on top of that. Iā€™ll have to go out and clear snow off them a few times tomorrow so they donā€™t collapse. Might put some milk jugs of hot water in there tomorrow night.

Iā€™ll probably cover a few honeyberries tomorrow as those are in full bloom. The currants are pushing out their flower buds but still closed so hopefully they are hardy enough.

The apples are at tight cluster so Iā€™m hoping the snow is sticky enough to provide some insulation.

The next 36 hours are going to be fun. :roll_eyes:

Iā€™m counting on the snow to provide insulation for row crops and plants in the ground

We are going to have snow this afternoon. My plum is blooming and pears are ready to bloom. Hope the snow will not hurt the flowersšŸ™

1 Like

As long as the Temp doesnā€™t drop below 28 degrees F then most flowers will be ok.

2 Likes

The snow has slowed down a bit, hopefully will turn into rain and melt this little guy.

5 Likes

It looks like the various weather outlet updated the overnight lows to around 27 vs 25 previously. Feeling a bit better about my apples now.

2 Likes