How is your weather? (Part 1)

Be careful with those trees, a couple have widowmaker showing, especially that twisted one.

1 Like

We’ll work from the top back since the tops are on the ground, and then if necessary provide some tractor assistance to pull them down where we want them to go.

My conifers have cones forming… I want to say these are Korean fir. First time producing cones.

Looks very warm late week…Should be back at 80F by Fri/Sat… Hopefully we get some dry time tomorrow to get outside a little.

Was reading that since the late 70s…this is the least amount of corn planted (as of May 19th) this late.

6 Likes

Talked to my Mom and sister tonight, they live outside Tulsa. They had another rough night last night. I was watching radar and listening to a Tulsa radio station online while it was happening. Another tornado had hit west of them and pretty much was bouncing up and down as it crossed Tulsa county around 12:30. Sis got some alerts on her phone, got up and turned on the tv, and they were warning folks. About 10 minutes later the sirens went off, so they headed for the hallway with their pillows and wait it out. Mom’s friend has a storm shelter and has said they can come over when it gets bad, but they had no time, so it was best they just stayed home. Scary stuff.

Fortunately they didn’t have any damage or loss of power, but there were a lot of trees and power lines down in the area. This was the second time in 5 days they had to shelter in place. They’re probably getting gun shy when it starts to rumble.

They got out today to check things out, and said the flooding is just incredible. I asked her if this is the worse she can remember and she said it was. Arkansas River is way up. It’s almost biblical type flooding.

She said they’re predicting more severe weather for Tuesday, so at least they’ll have tomorrow to enjoy some decent weather.

Here, we got a good shower about 6, enough to soften up the garden soil a bit. But it’s gonna be in the low 90s next couple of days.

We had cool rainy weather early last week, some sunshine the past two days, now more rain until Wednesday. They had an article in the news about how we’ve reached too much of a good thung. The farmers are way behind schedule, corn is stunted, hay is all wet, etc.

my collie loves to watch it, though.

2 Likes

Heavy rain just to the west across the bottom half of MN…looks to move into here shortly. Going to be raining for several hours …low looks to be out in the Omaha area… Some very heavy rain/storm in SE Kansas moving into MO…

100Fs creeping up the SE coast…pretty warm start to summer over in those parts

That is a beautiful tree! Are the cones really black? I have never seen those before. And so tightly closed. Some of the Italian and French cypress have cones that never open.

With that humidity, no thanks. That’s the reason I live out west. Sometimes a little farther west would be nice. The other side of that dryline.

1 Like

I know very little about conifers, but I’m sure they are Korean Fir or a hyrbid of that…they are very dark blue almost black. I think i planted them about 5 or 6 years ago. I read they come into cone bearing quickly vs other types and are used as Christmas trees.

1 Like

yes our native balsam fir only start to make cones over 10ft. those cones are cool looking! if i had room id grow some. i was stationed in korea but i never saw any firs. only stunted pines that never got more than 15ft. tall. maybe they grew in n. korea. they grew some huge asian pears there!

Looks like they grow native in the high mountains of S Korea///wet humid areas with lots of winter snow. Seems to like this climate. I didn’t even know that is what i had until the cones started forming. I also have a few hemlock that have done well and i think a couple of Norway spruce…

Pouring here. Streets are flowing like a river.

1 Like

Finally!
At the end of this 10 day we start getting more normal temps/sun.
It’s been downright bizarre out West. Downtown LA set many new records yesterday for a low daily max temps. Brrrr!

1 Like

We had near 80 one week, the next rainy and 50s,this week it is unsure what to do so it is overcast, misty, and around low 70s at best. At least no rain yesterday and today! I took flowers from my garden to the graves but odd weather made them less appealing than Mothers Day.

Unrelated, I found charcoal on sale $4.97 at Fred Meyers today! So all summer when weather is good I can use my Stok grill. When my veggies ripen…oh boy!

2 Likes

Gonna be another hot one today, lower 90s, but with a stiff breeze. Need to get out there and mulch the tomatoes we planted yesterday. After tomorrow, it’s supposed to drop down to more seasonal weather.

Heard about the tornadoes near Dayton, OH, last night, and wondering how @MikeC is doing.

Veg garden number one planted! And this afternoon a downpour, perfect!

had 29f at 530am. everything i had leafed out came through unscathed. sunny mid 60s now. mowing the lawn for the 1st time.

1 Like

Fingers crossed for you!

1 Like

I had the heat on in the car this morning. Still stuck in the 50Fs… Should be back in the 80Fs late week although rain still looks a possibility .

1 Like

Lots of chilly air this morning from Montana along the border up towards Maine…lots of 20Fs and 30Fs…and then a large chunk of upper 70Fs to 80F (for lows) along the Gulf Coast… no wonder the pattern is so active.

1 Like

More rain almost here, they’re predicting another inch after yesterday’s 2"

Soil washed off the bean seeds