How is your weather? (Part 1)

It is slowing progress on a job of mine. Terracing a steep area with railroad ties for someone.

Despite rain twice on Wednesday, he got the riding mower out about 6 p.m. and mowed…I wouldn’t have taken the chance on that slope if it were me.

But I don’t like yards personally…haven’t owned a mower since 1991. (Well, take that back, I married someone with a mower, but after 2 or 3 years of mowing …. I got removed from that equation.) So, back to no mowing.

I use weed or brush killer from time to time, though…mostly around the fruit trees. Think of it as ‘fruit forest’…not neat rows of trees with wide grassy strips down the aisles.

Despite rain every day and 78 degrees at 4 p.m. with a heat index of 81…and when your clothes get wet from sweating, they don’t dry out…period.
…I’ll still take this over a drought.

1 Like

More rain! I’m getting moldy!

1 Like

That was us last year. This year has been just about right. Almost looked like a drought and we had high 90’s for 3-4 weeks but then the Florida afternoon rains started…Perfect

3 Likes

hows your Maine transplants doing?

1 Like

After drying out for a bit, we’re back into the constant rain, which will turn muggy next week - Midwestern summer by July.

2 Likes

Yes we got and will get more rain. The biggest problem is the temperature is so low.it’s now only reaching 60 . Plants don’t grow is a bigger problem

3 Likes

Interesting that my tomatoes are so wretched yet the potatoes seem to be flourishing.

potatoes do well in the colder regions. i was raised picking potatoes on my great grandfathers farm from 10 till’ 18. about the only commercial crop that grows well in our cool wet summers.

1 Like

Had a dry stretch here but this weekend should put an end to that. Temps and humidity should also come up. Right around 80F today. Sunday could see dewpoints head towards 70F… a little greasy. Tried swimming at the beach…river is cold still…

I don’t think i’ve seen a bumblee bee in a month or more. Did they all die or do they just go missing for awhile? They were out early when the trees were in bloom.

1 Like

Me neither. There was a fat old queen working the apples when they first bloomed and there may have been a couple of small black ground nesting bees of some kind, too, but there’s nothing on the lupine today, which is about all I have blooming. Nine bark should start to bloom in a day or two, and I’ll watch for bees there. Beauty bush is coming along later.

I released my West Coast blue orchard bees in a drawer I bought years ago as part of a nesting block. I felt I had to deliver them from their cocoons by Cesarean Section. They all managed to get out of the drawer under their own power, but I haven’t seen hide nor hair of the them. I think that opening the cocoons induces a lot of trauma that may cause them to abscond even if it doesn’t actually kill them.

The alternative explanations for the dearth of pollinators are the cool, wet weather and the mosquito fog that the city releases up and down the streets early some mornings. … so much for relying on mosquitoes for pollination.

I have lured only one codling moth to my trap so far this season, so no economic damage is in prospect in that direction.

1 Like

Bumbles were out early on the honeysuckle when other bees were lying low in the cold, now I’m not seeing them

1 Like

I’ve noticed that here too. they are very active early and late in the season. seems they become rare from mid june to early sept. wonder if its just lack of blooms in that time or they don’t like the summer heat?

They certainly seem to tolerate the spring cold well - better than some other bees

1 Like

I see some bumble bees on my raspberry bush recently. I also let some wild flowers / weeds bloom to provide some pollen for them. They are safe in my yard

2 Likes

First day of summer, and we have snow in the forecast :wink:

Snow level is down to 9000’, which is a bit higher than we are (by 700’ roughly), but I expect we will see flakes falling and maybe some accumulation on the grassy areas.

1 Like

My daughter thinks CO springs are too much like winter. Smart girl…!!

1 Like

I got stuck in a snowstorm in the Big Horn mountains of Wyoming a bout 15 years ago right around this date. During which we ran into a swarm of tornadoes in South Dakota on the way back. Was strange…woke up to the car covered with snow and by evening we were in the tropics of central SD where it was hot and humid.

Warm here, but not a lot of sun> There has been a trend of cloudiness the past week…we’ll get some sun but by afternoon the clouds really build (heating of the day/colder upper levels would be my guess).

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to live in Denver. I loved it out there. Hot but no humidity (winters can have 70F days in January). The mountains are right there so if you want to cool off just drive up to Mt Evans (or bike like the locals) where it was about 45F (it was mid 80Fs in Denver). I think it has grown a lot since i was out there (early 2000s) and i’m sure the prices of homes have skyrocketed (they have here).

Looking like less rain this weekend on the models. Maybe it won’t be a washout.

1 Like

A dissipating high

1 Like

Sunshine this morning but should change over to clouds quickly this afternoon. Been a very nice mild stretch of weather around here. Just cool enough at night to get by without AC.

Low 20Fs in Yellowstone this morning…hope people brought winter gear with. Snow in the Rockies this weekend.

1st week of July looks hot across N Minnesota into Canada… cooler across Texas (rain?)…

3 Likes