How is your weather? (Part 1)

The rain has finally stopped for today’s but I see more coming from the Midwest. It will find me!

2 Likes

Turned the AC back on today. Kind of humid. Low 80Fs but a lot of clouds later today. Huge blob of rain/storms moving into Iowa…be in here later.

Still have not seen 1 bumbler…i caught a honey bee hitting some flowers and that was it.

My paw paw seeds are finally sprouting in their pots. Wow those things take FOREVER to sprout. I’ve had them out for months after all winter in the refrigerator.

3 Likes

bumbles all over my russian comfrey today. yesterday they were on my crandall currant. soon they’ll be in the rasps.

Normally i see them …this year not so much. I have no clue. I’ll keep an eye out.

Rain all morning. Looks to be finishing up now. Lot more humid today. Dews pushing towards 70F…

1 Like

low 70’s and windy here. few showers later in the week. weather has been about perfect. just enough showers for moisture and on the cool side. upper 60’s to low 70’s makes me and the plants happy. :wink:

Offshore winds from the lake keep pushing the rain away - not the humidity, tho

1 Like

It is still raining here…that is since early this morning. It has let up but never quit. About an inch so nothing too heavy.

The American Toad is back again calling. oh god… no more tadpoles. The ones are still not adult yet but are getting there.

1 Like

Toads are very helpful in the garden

2 Likes

I’m not sure if they lay eggs multiple times …i should have a bumper crop.

Mosquitoes are thick. Rain all around but nothing falling here today. Did see a little sunshine. Nice day overall.

Hot and humid by late week/weekend… Sunday should be 90Fs…

Harvested my lettuce. Flavor is fine…not bitter. Now i need to figure out how to eat all of it.

3 Likes

More rain tomorrow. Checked the orchard today. It’s been a week since I could get down there, and the news is few curcs, not full blast yet. All fruit is sizing up nicely, of course, I would be leaving, its really good this year!!!

1 Like

Looking at lettuce in the garden, seeing some starting to bolt, can’t possibly eat it all. Plenty from later plantings, tho, still good

1 Like

Last time I broke 75°F was 31 May. It’s 79°F now. Bumblebees are working the lupine. Nine bark and beauty bush are just beginning to flower. I want to go out and start thinning the apples. I really do, but maybe I should just nuke them with a little Sevin this evening, hoping to do for the curculios in the process. Should be above 60°F all night. I need to change the codling moth lure 'cause I’ve caught only one so far.

1 Like

Stuck at 85F most of the late afternoon…dews in the upper 50Fs…about as hot as i like it to get…and not insanely humid. All that should change… Get the AC ready because we are heading to triple digit real feels. GFS is probably wrong…but it has dews going into the mid 70Fs sat and sun… temps 90F or above. Yum!

…sunflower is just opening. This is one of the ones i started from seed. I also have ones that sprouted outside…to be honest…they are almost the same height, but this one seems to be blooming sooner. A little over 6 feeet tall.

I saw the big fat toad in my strawberry bed. He’s eating well. (or she)

2 Likes

90s from here to eternity

Spent the morning pulling lettuce to save. Still have 2 rows left of later plantings ready to eat. [I know, I plant too much lettuce]

Spring peas are finished up now, and I doubt they’ll set a 2nd flush in this heat, so they’ll probably be next for the compost pile. But it was a very successful season for them

Gonna go turn on AC now

1 Like

My broccoli still has not developed heads! I have no idea what i’m doing wrong with those plants. There is a house down the road and they have already harvested. Who knows. I might start a tray of seeds and go for a fall crop…

AC has been cranked here. I can’t sleep in a hot house. We have south exposure and no shade so its a h ot box when the sun is out. Even the basement is up to 72F now… Soil temps are warming.

Found a dead rabbit in the yard. Something mauled that thing. It wasn’t there last night and today is like a hollowed out fur pile! I think there is a fox roaming the area. Some people we know have chickens…well they had chickens…they said they are just feeding the fox. I saw him early this spring a couple times not far from here. I have a security camerea but its not pointed in the right area…maybe i’ll move it.

Large complex of storms moving in from the west. Just cleared Rochester and head east quickly. Really getting dark around here. Dewpoint up to 67F…

Sweet cherries are done. We picked the rest today. The robins were hammering them yet i have a tree of sour cherries (CJ) that they don’t seem to want so they attack my Lapins. Robins love sweet cherries. Very good but almost too juicy…must be all the rain. Lots of rot about a week ago but i thinned all those out…

1 Like

Might be the variety of broc you have. Some strains are ready in 60 days, others can take 100+. If you’re sure that these were short season seeds, then must be something else; otherwise might just be they need more time.

1 Like

Hopefully…probably need to go shorter season in spring.

pouring here…skies went dark…lightning…wind… Probably the heaviest rain so far this spring/summer. Should add up very quickly.

Current 89F/75F in Omaha… ouch… .that is some swamp air. Clouds keeping things "cool’ here but we should drop below 70F overnight (low of 72F)… Just about an inch of rain earlier. Lots of lightning with that line of storms.

1 Like

rain showers here too but nothing heavy. going to stay that way until next tues. everything is growing great finally.

1 Like

That line should show up here w/in 1/2 hour, but not expecting so much rain

1 Like