How is your weather? (Part 1)

We had some dry weather for a few days…the heaviest rains have stayed a either a little south or a little west… but it has still been very wet. It rained again overnight.

I need to do a front wheel bearing. I bought a big press from HF to do it and have the parts but just havent’ gotten around to tearing apart suspensione/brake to replace it. I don’t use that car much in summer so it can sit for now. You know the thing that would make all the difference would be a car lift. That would be a back saver for me.

I had an imd 80s Ford Ranger in high school…i wish i still had that. 5 speed manual///Had lock outs (4x4)…no power steering…it was EFI 4cyl…had lots of room in the engine bay…leaf springs/gas shocks…no power, but with good tires it would climb like an atv (4 low/1st gear and it would do about 5mph tops) … so so simple. plus it had ground clearance so i could get under it and a bed big enough to haul and atv/etc etc… and i could easily get 25mpg if i drove it right…

2 Likes

Poured yesterday, steamy today, very humid and hot tomorrow.

2 Likes

Rained several times the last 24 hours… about 2 inches of rain total. Dewpoint up to 71F.

56F right now in Grand Marias, MN …right along L Superior… Temps are so weird there.t.hey jump around from the low 70Fs to the low 50Fs depending on lake winds… Still would be a nice place to stop and cool off… 82F in Duluth…so the warmth is right there.

1 Like

Got rained out at work…but my grafted apple trees in pots are going to have to be watered this evening it looks like…not a sprinkle on them.

1 Like

Gullywasher!

1 Like

Have had some big rains here recently. You can see the cattle bobbing down river in this video! Most of them arrived safely on dry land according to the news.

2 Likes

Had a storm blow through about 7:30, power flickered a bit, but stayed on. High winds and heavy rain for about half an hour, light rain is about over now. First big rain in about a week.

Tomatoes seemed to fare ok, I had staked a few and mulched the rows right before it hit. Peppers are fine as well, garden was so dry, so it’s barely muddy at all. Corn prob needed the water, is getting a bit parched looking, but also need to fertilize it.

A 4ft primocane on my Ouachita bush got snapped off by the winds, all the other plants look fine. But, will need to get them trellised.

Was another hot here earlier, got to 93 this afternoon. Had to change the oil in the car, wasn’t smart enough to do it this morning, no, waited until 1:00 when it was about 90. Went through two more t-shirts today.

1 Like

It has been bad over there. I’ve been lucky here in La Crosse…we kind of missed the heaviest…although a couple of houses started on fire because of lightning. One of them was almost next door to a fire station and the fire guys heard the lightning and were on the scene about 2 seconds…so that worked well. Another house i guess was a total loss.

Temp hasn’t been below 70F in a few days now…liking this Miami heatwave. I was sweating so bad last night on a bike ride that it was running into my eyeballs and my eyes were burning. Today should be right around 90F with dews to match (almost)…

I saw 2 bumble bees yesterday finally! A small one an an extra large. Seeing tons of honey type bees.

2 Likes

been muggy with thunder storms the last couple days. might hit 90f tom. brutal for this area. bought $250 of fireworks. guess ill let the younger ones set them off and soak in the lake.

2 Likes

Glad to see the rain, actually, Was going to have to water otherwise!

2 Likes

Glad you saw a bumble! They were later than usual to arrive here too. I tend to find them on my catmint, they love that stuff!

And that’s a crazy story about the houses on fire!

We have had muggy ridiculously hot one hour, cooled down by rain and very pleasant the next hour confusing weather the last couple days. I have box ac, so it’s being switched on and off quite a lot!

2 Likes

we’ve been getting good soakings from the thunderstorms and the mugginess is keeping stuff from drying out.

80F already at 10am…dewpoint of 70F… very very warm out in the y ard. I watered my blueberries and a few other things. Looks like an excellent blueberry year. Plants are loaded. Although they will need to be covered because there is a robin nest about 10 feet from the plants.

2 Likes

going to be a muggy scorcher here as well. supposed to have a cold front coming through sat. bringing temps back to the low 70’s.

I use to buy fireworks but haven’t in over 20 years. Back then i bought them from some old dude in a trailer court. There was a whole bedroom full of them. I remember buying bricks of blackcats for around $8…not sure what they cost now. I bought these roman candle type things that would flash light and then explode…sounded almost like an m80 when they would go off. Those were impressive. The old dude would shove a bunch of extra things into our bags…funny stuff. Those were the good days.

There was an article talking about how Anchorage could go above 90F for the first time. They’ve been above normal 34 days in a row. The NAEFS has been consistent in showing that Alaskan heat.

Temps should cool by Sunday with low humidity. Not sure how long that lasts.

2 Likes

i mostly buy the big fireworks that go high in the sky. similar to the commercial ones but not as big. we fire them over eagle lake here. there are dozens of camp owners that do the same. the reflections off the water are a sight to see!

Ok…like the mortar style ones.

Looks like rain here. The city has a big fireworks display down by the river but i’m guessing it might not happen with the forecast…but who knows. Its going to be warm, muggy and buggy for sure.

If you want a plant that is the biggest bee attractor i’ve ever seen grow this stuff…it’s a little invasive and likes to reseed but is easily controlled. It’s called motherwort.

2 Likes

we have that wild in the ditches here everywhere. your right. they are always covered with bees. they love my borage/ comfrey also. i harvest the leaves and let the flowers stay for them.

2 Likes

Went swimming/snorkeling for the day at a lake north of here yesterday. Beautiful…low 80Fs/sunshine and a nice NE breeze…and the humidity has been dropping even thru today (dews in the 50Fs). Water temp i figure was right around 75F… I think it would have been chilly if it was cloudy but with the sun it was fine. Kayaks were out all over the lake…they’ve really become popular the last 5 to 10 years (i own one but rarely use it)… I’ve taken it out on the river but i burn up in that thing…need a big big hat while out there in the sun paddling and some good sunglasses or better yet just get a pontoon and live the life like the boomers (the Mississippi River today is full of pontoons…they’ve taken over).

Extended looks a tad cooler then it has been…mostly 80F ish and 60 ish at night …maybe back into upper 80Fs by late week. Good rain chance tomorrow night. I guess it beats the 70F+ dewpoints we had.

I’m trying semi hardwood cuttings…i’ve done a few a day for the past 2 weeks. Have no idea what i’m doing or if anything is going to work. I have used that hormone powder and have everything covered to keep things moist…we shall see!

1 Like