How is your weather? (Part 1)

What do you do with the Borage leaves?

1 Like

chicken fodder as well as the nettle , dandelions, plantain and some comfrey.

2 Likes

Ah, just wondering if people could eat it. I’ve been eating a lot of dandelion, plantain, nettle, and purslane this year.

TX-LA border prepare…

1 Like

I eat borage in salad. Tastes like cucumber.

4 Likes

i believe you can. i know the flowers are edible.

1 Like

We’ve had a couple days without rain now. Unfortunately, more rain is on the way this week from the sounds of it. We need 10 sunny, dry days for the garden to catch up

1 Like

I grow borage before as I recall, its leafs are kinda furry /fuzzy/hairy…I wasn’t brave enough to put leafs in my salad

It would appear mid month on should see some SIGNIFICANT heat build into the Ohio Valley/midwest… yikes… get ready for some 90Fs or better and probably a lot of humidity.

While driving thru the backroads of rural central Wisconsin this weekend i was looking at the 1000’s of acres of corn crops that dont’ look so good. Lots of ankle high corn…lot of yellow corn…maybe the tallest was knee high…some fields were brown and some still had standing water in them. I don’t think i saw one good field…maybe a field of knee high or so stuff. I’m guessing up on the ridgetops there is better fields but i didn’t notice any. Previous years the corn would have been waste high by now (or taller).

The old timers used to say knee high by the 4th of July. If the corn was that big it would make a crop before frost. That was northern IL.

I’m sure there’s lots of corn field disasters this yr. Farming is a tough business.

But the week after that …

1 Like

Right, little kids could usually get lost in a field by this time of year (a childhood fear of mine :sweat_smile:) but this year it’s strangely bare

1 Like

Invest 92L Likely to be a Tropical Storm in Gulf of Mexico by Saturday
Dr. Jeff Masters · July 8, 2019, 12:36 PM EDT

1 Like

Yeah.i still hear that saying all the time and its usually about chest high by the fourth in this area. I’m sure there is good stuff out there but this year is epic for ugliness. If i get back thru there i’ll stop and take some pictures. I’m sure most of it will just be silage or whatever they call that when they just mow it and use that as feed.

I mean…ANKLE tall fields of corn on the 6th of July… that is unheard of…i’m not sure why it was even planted but i believe it has to do with crop insurance.

lol. me neither. the chooks really like it!

Corn has changed, I’m told.

I don’t have an exact date on the photo, but the glass negative is with a batch my great grandma took 1909—1910 near Pine Village, IN. The fellow’s name is Arthur Hendricks. The variety is dark colored, probably red. (It was not the fashion for subjects to smile in my great grandma’s pictures.)

Some of the old varieties were quite tall I believe — taller than this one.

Nowadays corn is meant to be brought in earlier than soy beans to reduce the risk of losing yield to the elements. This picture was obviously taken rather late in the year. Because mechanical harvest was not an issue, corn could be left in the field to await any good harvesting weather that came along.

This was before chemical fertilizer and herbicide. Thus, yields depended on the variety, the time of planting, the prevailing weather, and the land. Naturally, the higher yielding varieties needed longer growing seasons. Like today, the imperative was to get the crop out as soon as the soil was warm enough to support germination. Unlike today, varieties could be planted that did not ripen before frost. Thick stalks that would support the crop late into the year were important.

4 Likes

1 Like

We had a low of 48.9F last night. My tomatoes and peppers are not going to be happy, they’re already way behind.

2 Likes

Hot, humid and sticky. Typical July weather. A breeze, so great sailing for the vintage America’s cup races going on all this week!!!

3 Likes

So less than a week ago, in the heat wave, we had 3 inches of rain in one day, leaving water standing in the vegetable garden. By the end of the weekend, the soil was turned to brick, and I had to bring out the hose after renovating the strawberries.