How is your weather?

The old timers used to say knee high by the 4th of July. If the corn was that big it would make a crop before frost. That was northern IL.

I’m sure there’s lots of corn field disasters this yr. Farming is a tough business.

But the week after that …

Right, little kids could usually get lost in a field by this time of year (a childhood fear of mine :sweat_smile:) but this year it’s strangely bare

Invest 92L Likely to be a Tropical Storm in Gulf of Mexico by Saturday
Dr. Jeff Masters · July 8, 2019, 12:36 PM EDT

Yeah.i still hear that saying all the time and its usually about chest high by the fourth in this area. I’m sure there is good stuff out there but this year is epic for ugliness. If i get back thru there i’ll stop and take some pictures. I’m sure most of it will just be silage or whatever they call that when they just mow it and use that as feed.

I mean…ANKLE tall fields of corn on the 6th of July… that is unheard of…i’m not sure why it was even planted but i believe it has to do with crop insurance.

lol. me neither. the chooks really like it!

Corn has changed, I’m told.

I don’t have an exact date on the photo, but the glass negative is with a batch my great grandma took 1909—1910 near Pine Village, IN. The fellow’s name is Arthur Hendricks. The variety is dark colored, probably red. (It was not the fashion for subjects to smile in my great grandma’s pictures.)

Some of the old varieties were quite tall I believe — taller than this one.

Nowadays corn is meant to be brought in earlier than soy beans to reduce the risk of losing yield to the elements. This picture was obviously taken rather late in the year. Because mechanical harvest was not an issue, corn could be left in the field to await any good harvesting weather that came along.

This was before chemical fertilizer and herbicide. Thus, yields depended on the variety, the time of planting, the prevailing weather, and the land. Naturally, the higher yielding varieties needed longer growing seasons. Like today, the imperative was to get the crop out as soon as the soil was warm enough to support germination. Unlike today, varieties could be planted that did not ripen before frost. Thick stalks that would support the crop late into the year were important.

We had a low of 48.9F last night. My tomatoes and peppers are not going to be happy, they’re already way behind.

Hot, humid and sticky. Typical July weather. A breeze, so great sailing for the vintage America’s cup races going on all this week!!!

So less than a week ago, in the heat wave, we had 3 inches of rain in one day, leaving water standing in the vegetable garden. By the end of the weekend, the soil was turned to brick, and I had to bring out the hose after renovating the strawberries.

I am happy with the weather now. Little hot in daytime but nice and cool at night

im glad i started mine indoors or i wouldn’t have any peppers this summer.

The corn around here east of St. Paul looks great. It had started to curl a bit, but then we got some significant rain last week, so it is shoulder high now. I have been harvesting peppers for a while, but I started them inside back in February, which was really overkill. Those recent rains were wonderful, as lawns were turning brown and gardens wilting before that. My early planting of sweet corn germinated very sparsely due to cold, but the later planting looks great.

I did as well, but they haven’t been happy with the weather since I planted them out. I even went back to planting them in a 4’ wide row covered with black landscape fabric to boost the soil heat, and they’re still lagging. I didn’t get anything planted in the veg garden until mid-June this year, my corn still isn’t “knee high”.

thats when i planted. i have my peppers in pots in the greenhouse so that has helped protect them some at night. we have been in the upper 40’s low 50’s. daytime has been mid 70’s for the most part. my brother tried planting his garden in early june but most of the seeds rotted.

I drove past numerous corn fields today that weren’t even calf high. About the tallest corn I’ve seen would be between knee and hip high, and fields that far along are few and far between.

Wet, hot…

We have3 days of rain.
In July.

been perfect growing weather so far this month. low/ mid 70’s with occasional showers coming thru to keep the plants watered.